Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > Aviation Photography > Post War & Modern

Notices

Unread May 7th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Kitbasher

Default USN 87-93

These are the photos I took while I was an Aviation Boatswain's Mate (Blue Shirt, Crash and Salvage/ CV-41, CV-61, NAS Kingsville) from the years of 87-93. I was a big airshow fan before I went in and while I was in, I realized I needed to take advantage of my situation and shoot a lot of photos. Some of you may have seen some of these around before, but I've removed them from the other places they were and cropped/ re-scanned them to a higher resolution. They will only be seen here and at whatifmodelers.com when I get the time.

Though they're not the best photos around, they do show a piece of history from my perspective. I'll put up a few at a time as I re-scan them. I hope y'all enjoy them.

First, a few Tomcats from VF-1 and VF-2 while I was on the Ranger. Some of these were shot during Desert Storm.

Unread May 7th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Kitbasher

Unread May 7th, 2010, 10:46 PM
If it ain't Boeing...

Unread May 9th, 2010, 02:16 AM
Rank Amatuer

Sweet.
Unread May 9th, 2010, 02:30 AM

Fantastic shots Eddie!
Unread May 10th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Kitbasher

Thanks Gents! I've got back into the tub 'o' photos and found a lot I wanted to re-scan so I will be putting them up in no particular order just to keep it interesting.

Last edited by Eddie M.; May 10th, 2010 at 06:14 PM. Reason: spelling
Unread May 10th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Kitbasher

Last edited by Eddie M.; May 10th, 2010 at 06:21 PM. Reason: adding photos
Unread May 10th, 2010, 06:23 PM

Great shots and thanks for posting. I've seen missing refueling doors on F-14s before, but I thought that they were mainly removed during OIF/OEF. Did the door get snagged on the basket often?
Unread May 10th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Kitbasher

One of my absolute favorites. When I look at this photo, I hear it. Probably the loudest thing I ever heard. You can feel it in yer guts.....

Sunrise, first cycle....

Anyone want to guess what everyone's looking at?

Last edited by Eddie M.; May 10th, 2010 at 06:32 PM.
Unread May 10th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Kitbasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afterburner Decals Geoff View Post
Great shots and thanks for posting. I've seen missing refueling doors on F-14s before, but I thought that they were mainly removed during OIF/OEF. Did the door get snagged on the basket often?
That was during ODS when one got sucked into an engine just after selecting zone five on the cat. I've seen FOD outs before but when that door went in, it was like a giant Roman candle. IIRC correctly they left them off for the rest of the cruise.
Unread May 10th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Reddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afterburner Decals Geoff View Post
Everyone started doing it during Desert Shield when there was a lot of incidents of the basket knocking the door off and it going down the starboard intake. After that is was a common occurrence once you got on the boat to pull the doors off all the birds.

Reddog
Unread May 10th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Kitbasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog View Post
Everyone started doing it during Desert Shield when there was a lot of incidents of the basket knocking the door off and it going down the starboard intake. After that is was a common occurrence once you got on the boat to pull the doors off all the birds.

Reddog
Interesting about the baskets knocking doors off. They didn't take the doors off until we got into the Gulf. With in a month of coming back to San Diego the doors were back on.
Unread May 10th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Reddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie M. View Post
Interesting about the baskets knocking doors off. They didn't take the doors off until we got into the Gulf. With in a month of coming back to San Diego the doors were back on.
If you weren't tanking on a regular basis then most squadrons would put them back on. The squadrons I was in and other that I know of would take them off once we entered the Med and put them back on when we left the Med. The biggest problem wasn't tanking from the A-6's or S-3's, it was tanking from the Air Force because the basket would do this weird dance, it wasn't as steady as the Navy's tankers where.

Reddog
Unread May 10th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Kitbasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog View Post
If you weren't tanking on a regular basis then most squadrons would put them back on. The squadrons I was in and other that I know of would take them off once we entered the Med and put them back on when we left the Med. The biggest problem wasn't tanking from the A-6's or S-3's, it was tanking from the Air Force because the basket would do this weird dance, it wasn't as steady as the Navy's tankers where.

Reddog
That makes sense and I do have a pretty nice KC-10 fly by photo in the old, hi viz paint while we were out there. There were tanking incidents with our birds, but usually A-6s tearing the basket off the hoses.
Unread May 10th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Kitbasher

"Good morning, gentlemen, the temperature is 110 degrees." "Holy shit, it's Viper!"

Unread May 10th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Kitbasher

Vistors......

"Roger ball. Little power, little left for line up..."

This guy flew right down the centerline until he had to turn to keep his wing out of our antennas

Last edited by Eddie M.; May 11th, 2010 at 05:44 AM.
Unread May 10th, 2010, 10:31 PM
Slacker Action

Send a message via Skype™ to Spaced

Very nice. Love the Buff lining up for the trap there.
Unread May 11th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Reddog

Quote:
That makes sense and I do have a pretty nice KC-10 fly by photo in the old, hi viz paint while we were out there. There were tanking incidents with our birds, but usually A-6s tearing the basket off the hoses.
Yea, I've see that, we had a few birds come back with the basket still on the probe or the tanker package come back with the basket ripped of. We even had to blow the package or hose every blue moon, that's one of the reason we lost that whale in 87. The most common thing was the AE's blowing the basket off on dec. Semed to be a weekly occurance when I was on the Nimitz between us, -86 and -35, between the 3 sqaudrons some one was going to blow a basket that week.

Reddog
Unread May 12th, 2010, 07:50 AM

Quote:

Never thought I'd see that on here... Pilot was a Dept head in my 1st squadron--Russ Gates. One of the best sticks I've ever flown w/. Named my son after him even. I can tell it was him, cause his crew was made up of what seemed like midgets--he was 6'4" and they were all barely 5'5"!
Unread May 14th, 2010, 11:38 PM
Oompa

Great shots Eddie!

Gotta love those lo-vis VF-2 birds!