Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > The Hobby Room > The Flightline

Notices

Unread December 1st, 2009, 11:12 AM
Trust me, I'm an engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinger View Post
The hell, Kai,
I am always admiring your work and your patience. One should have an IPMS World competition.
There is...Scale Model World in the UK every November I find the in progress photos very useful and inspirational Kai. When the Fightertown decals for VF-1 hit the market, I'll take a long look at my Tamiya F-14.

Jens
Unread December 1st, 2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combat Edge View Post

The F110 nozzle from the F-16CJ kit is one of the best F110 nozzles on the market and nearly perfect in dimensions and shape. So i ordered two complete F110 Engines and airframe fairings from the Tamiya F-16CJ kit.
Hi Kai,

I had the same problem with the Wolfpack nozzles, so I also used the Tamiya F-16 nozzles, but I cut them down, petal by petal, to make them fit the Wolfpack engine fairing. It turned out pretty good.
Unread December 1st, 2009, 03:22 PM
Rank Amatuer

Kai,
Hooly Dooly! That is one very nice Tomcat. Your skills are amazing!!
Unread December 1st, 2009, 03:35 PM

Wow! Very ,very, really nice Cat!
fantastic job! Holy job!
Compliments for the professiona photos. very good details.
Unread December 1st, 2009, 03:46 PM

Very Nice!!!!

Jim

Fear the Bones

A good friend will bail you out of jail, a great friend will ask "How did we get caught?"

On the Bench
1/350 IJN Nagato
Unread December 1st, 2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck540z3 View Post
Hi Kai,

I had the same problem with the Wolfpack nozzles, so I also used the Tamiya F-16 nozzles, but I cut them down, petal by petal, to make them fit the Wolfpack engine fairing. It turned out pretty good.
Yes.....i saw that. But why? As i wrote before........the wrong dimensions on the Wolfpack Nozzle isn`t the biggest problem!

Because the Wolfpack airframe conversion has the same wrong diameter and dimensions!!

You spent a lot of money and a lot of work to change a correct Tamiya nozzle into wrong diameter nozzle!

Only to put it into a wrong diameter airfame conversion! That doesn`t make sense to me......

Don`t understand me wrong!! Your Cat is really, really awesome!!!

But with an attached Tamiya F-16 engine fairing (same dimensions as on the Tomcat!), you can convert the Tamiya Cat into a right dimensioned B - or D-Model.

And that wasn`t more input than cutting down every single nozzle blade! And in the end, you will have a wrong diameter F110 nozzle.....

@ ALL who wants to use the Wolfpack airframe conversion, I try to explain the problem with that conversion with some drawings.

(Ì created that images in just a few seconds.......so not too worry about the "quality"! )

This is a drawing of a F-14B / F-14D model with the F110 engine and fairing

The aft section (Nozzle/Fairing Attachment) from the F-16 fairing is the same as on the Tomcat, so you can use the aft section from the 1/32 Tamiya F-16 fairing.

Because it has the right diameter (3,58 cm / 1,40 in) and you can easy attach the Tamiya F110 nozzle.

And this is the Wolfpack Design conversion with the wrong diameter, length and shape!

The airframe conversion fairing and the nozzle shows only 3,34 cm (1,33 in) at the connection!!

Due to the smaller diameter and wrong shape, you will get these ugly gaps between the stabilizer and the center section.

You will never find that gaps on the real bird!! An the original Wolfpack F110 nozzle is way too short and looks ugly!

It remind me of the 1/32 scale Revell Mig-29 with it`s wrong tiny engine nozzles and fairings......

For me a "NO-GO".

http://www.CombatEdgeProductions.com

Last edited by Combat Edge; December 1st, 2009 at 04:44 PM.
Unread December 1st, 2009, 04:56 PM

Does anybody have any toilet paper? I think I just messed myself. That is flipping outstanding work!! Right click and save people.

Jim

Fear the Bones

A good friend will bail you out of jail, a great friend will ask "How did we get caught?"

On the Bench
1/350 IJN Nagato
Unread December 1st, 2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinger View Post
The hell, Kai,
........Looking forward the entire dio.
MANY THANKS Stinger. The Dio is in progress! Stay tuned...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens H. Brandal View Post
There is...Scale Model World in the UK every November I find the in progress photos very useful and inspirational Kai. When the Fightertown decals for VF-1 hit the market, I'll take a long look at my Tamiya F-14.
Jens
Thanks! I visited the Scale Model World at Telford a few weeks ago! What a great weekend!! But we flew with Lufthansa to Birmingham via Frankfurt......so it wasn`t possible to bring my Cat to the UK. Maybe next year......

@Devo666, Girolamo and hornet78
MANY, MANY THANKS!!

@ ALL: My Tomcat is now on my homepage!!!

You will find images of the finished Cat and an small "In-Progress" report on my side!

I hope you like it and if you have any questions.......please ask!!

Greetings Kai

Here is the link to the Cat:

http://www.combatedgeproductions.com.../f-14/f-14.htm

Last edited by Combat Edge; December 4th, 2009 at 07:03 AM.
Unread December 1st, 2009, 06:14 PM

[quote=Combat Edge;64909]Yes.....i saw that. But why? As i wrote before........the wrong dimensions on the Wolfpack Nozzle isn`t the biggest problem!

Because the Wolfpack airframe conversion has the same wrong diameter and dimensions!!

You spent a lot of money and a lot of work to change a correct Tamiya nozzle into wrong diameter nozzle!

Only to put it into a wrong diameter airfame conversion! That doesn`t make sense to me......

Don`t understand me wrong!! Your Cat is really, really awesome!!!

But with an attached Tamiya F-16 engine fairing (same dimensions as on the Tomcat!), you can convert the Tamiya Cat into a right dimensioned B - or D-Model.

And that wasn`t more input than cutting down every single nozzle blade! And in the end, you will have a wrong diameter F110 nozzle.....

[\QUOTE]

Although I won't disagree with anything you've written (how could anybody! ), what I did was good enough for me at the time. All the other builds I've seen have used either the Wolfpack conversion or the old Teknics set, used as is, with all the problems you have mentioned. Using the Tamiya nozzle gave me something that looked better than both of the above and was a fun experiment.

I have since bought another couple of the Teknics airframe conversions and a nice set of open and closed nozzles from some guy was selling them on ebay. Yes, they are the right dimension and I look forward to using them on my next F-14 build, since I've seen F-14B/D GE-110 engines with one open and one closed at rest, just like the F-14A ones. All I need to do is add the "ring" between them, but now Aires has a really nice looking airframe/engine combo, so I might go with that instead.

I also picked up a couple of Teknics cockpit sets to give me some more canopy hooks along the cockpit sill and other cockpit details that not even the Aires resin set has. I noticed you didn't use these parts on your build even though you used the Teknics cockpit set. Why?

Again, your build is really beautiful and the nicest I've seen so far. I particularly like the plumbing detail in the wheels wells.

Last edited by chuck540z3; December 1st, 2009 at 07:26 PM.
Unread December 1st, 2009, 06:44 PM

All I can say is I'm glad I'm doing an A model for my big Cat.

Jim

Fear the Bones

On the Bench
1/350 IJN Nagato
Unread December 1st, 2009, 08:53 PM
Too many kits....

Damn, that is one shit hot tomcat. great build !

On the Bench:
Eduard 1/144 Mig 21 MF
Revell 1/32 BF109-G10
Hasegawa 1/200 C-40A Clipper

At some point:
Monogram B-25 turned into a PBJ-1
Unread December 2nd, 2009, 01:17 AM

does someone have the phone number of a "barbie club"....i surely start a collection.....
no.....can't do that.....
this is terrific......
i hope medecine is going to make fast improvement in the future....so no more things like this could happend !!!!
ok, really, thats incredible, i'm looking at your gear wells details....i'm not able to work like that !
great you share it with us !
hope to see it one tome in a model expo !
Pat
Unread December 2nd, 2009, 07:30 PM
Steel Beach Resin

Absolutely gorgeous! You're work on the wheel bays and cockpit is outstanding. The landing gear as well is expertly done. The only critique I can even begin to think of is that the weathering on the panel lines is too even and consistant. It has a very "artistic" look. My personal preference is for a "realistic" overall look. However, it comes down to what you, as the builder, want to achieve. You've done fantastic work, and should be very proud to show that off.
Unread December 3rd, 2009, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Although I won't disagree with anything you've written (how could anybody! ), what I did was good enough for me at the time. All the other builds I've seen have used either the Wolfpack conversion or the old Teknics set, used as is, with all the problems you have mentioned. Using the Tamiya nozzle gave me something that looked better than both of the above and was a fun experiment.

I have since bought another couple of the Teknics airframe conversions and a nice set of open and closed nozzles from some guy was selling them on ebay. Yes, they are the right dimension and I look forward to using them on my next F-14 build, since I've seen F-14B/D GE-110 engines with one open and one closed at rest, just like the F-14A ones. All I need to do is add the "ring" between them, but now Aires has a really nice looking airframe/engine combo, so I might go with that instead.
Yes...you are right. Using the Tamiya nozzle instead of the ugly Wolfpack nozzle on your Cat was a good decision and turns your Cat into a really great looking Tomcat ! You bought a few more Teknics airframe conversions? Mmmh......the Teknics airframe have the right dimensions......so i think using that set with the Tamiya F-16CJ engine fairing and the new Aires F110 will be the best looking Tomcat F110 conversion for the mighty Tamiya Cat!!

btw: Aires.....take a look into the engine exhaust!! That`s awesome, isn`t it?!

But Aires released that kit after my engine was done......grrrrrrr

The conversion for the B/D isn`t easy....so for my next Bravo or Delta, i will use the Trumpeter D-Cat with the Aires engine.

Quote:
I also picked up a couple of Teknics cockpit sets to give me some more canopy hooks along the cockpit sill and other cockpit details that not even the Aires resin set has. I noticed you didn't use these parts on your build even though you used the Teknics cockpit set. Why?

Again, your build is really beautiful and the nicest I've seen so far. I particularly like the plumbing detail in the wheels wells.
Yes......i didn`t used it. Because there is a problem with the level. But i realised that AFTER my Cockpit was done. The problem isn`t the hook itself! These parts looks good in shape and dimension.

The problem is the level of the Teknics sidewall rails compared to the Fuselage. Because there isn`t enough space (just less than 1 mm) between the Teknics rail and the Tamiya fuselage upper surface.

On a real Tomcat, you can`t see that hooks from the side. You have to look from a higher position into that cockpit to clearly see that hooks. Because the highest point of these hooks are under the level of the Cockpit fuselage. You know what i mean? Let me check my images......maybe i find an image of the real hooks. It`s hard to explain without an image.

If you install that hooks on the model, they will be much to high in position and clearly visible from the side. I tried to scratchbuild some "downsized" hooks. But with just 1 mm space........it doesn`t look good. So i decided to not install the hooks on my model.

Do you need that hooks? Or any other part from my Teknics Cockpit spareparts? If you want, i can send it to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtwo View Post
i hope medecine is going to make fast improvement in the future....so no more things like this could happend !!!!
ok, really, thats incredible, i'm looking at your gear wells details....i'm not able to work like that !
great you share it with us !
hope to see it one tome in a model expo !
Pat
Hi Pat.....I hope so too! My doctor told me that I am on the good way !
Your models (like the NSAWC Tomcat and the brown Hornet) was an insperation for me since many years .

Maybe we see us next year in Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rob View Post
Absolutely gorgeous! You're work on the wheel bays and cockpit is outstanding. The landing gear as well is expertly done. The only critique I can even begin to think of is that the weathering on the panel lines is too even and consistant. It has a very "artistic" look. My personal preference is for a "realistic" overall look. However, it comes down to what you, as the builder, want to achieve. You've done fantastic work, and should be very proud to show that off.
MANY THANKS. I am happy that you like my Cat.
I know what you mean. I love really weathered birds and normally i build my buirds in a much more "dirty" style!

But in that case, i decided for a not too heavy weathered bird.

Because most of the CAG birds i shoot, were pretty clean and good in shape.

Take a look at my images from the real AJ-100. The picture from Oceana is from April 2005 and my image onboard the Theodore Roosevelt is from July 2005. AJ-100 was painted just a few month before, so there wasn`t a lot of dirt on that Cat.

I just put some "corrosion prevention" spots here and there, some oil and dirt spot / streaks and some paint chipping on my model. Beside the washing, most of the weathered effects was made due to the pre-shading.

But my Cat is not as clean as it looks like on that images!

Maybe it`s due to the light and I am not really 100% happy with the images.

I tried several different light configurations.......but a lot of my weathered effect has been always absorbed from the light grrrrr

Here you can see my Cat during the pre-shading process and the finished upper fuselage.

Greetings and MANY, MANY THANKS for all your kind words,
Kai

Last edited by Combat Edge; December 3rd, 2009 at 11:29 PM.
Unread December 3rd, 2009, 09:30 AM

That should be great to meet ! can't remember where do you come from ? Germany ? if yes...don't come with Christian Gherard...you gonna kill us with your beautifull models !!
thanks for your interest on some of my models !
and now....what's next.....??
pat
Unread December 3rd, 2009, 09:56 AM

Thanks Kai for the info. For the canopy hooks along the bottom of the cockpit rail, there are, as you know, 2 sets of details. The first one is the actual hooks that sit inside the cockpit, which even the Teknics kit fails to replicate, although it's better than nothing. The hooks are way too thin and there's not enough of them. The Black Box/Avionix ones are very good and I've used them before, but the rest of the cockpit set doesn't hold a candle to the Aires kit for detail, so it's a very expensive option if you don't use the rest of the set.

The other cockpit sill detail is some notches (for the upper hooks maybe?) that Teknics does supply as a long brass piece, along with a tiny piece that goes at the front next to the windscreen, because the canopy is not at 90 degrees at the front- it's more like 45 degrees, if you know what I mean. I only point this stuff out for those who may want to use these parts, since they are available. I have a pic of this detail in my build but there's no way I'm hi-jacking this thread!

As far as your light weathering is concerned, I noticed from your own pics that the bird you were building was really, really clean for a Tomcat, so I think you got it spot on. Again, great work!
Unread December 3rd, 2009, 10:55 AM
Steel Beach Resin

You'll have to forgive me. I don't mean to be contrary. One of my modeling pet peeves is when modelers (not you specifically) confuse "artistic" with "realistic". It's very difficult to explain just what I mean. To help, I've put a picture of the model (which is gorgeous!) above the picture of the real thing. You can see the difference in the visibility of panel line accents. My critique (and it's a small one!) is that the panel lines on the model are evenly highlighted with a dark wash. They are consistant across all the engraved lines. It gives it the "Verlinden" finish, for lack of a better term. It's a very eye-catching finish, but it's more artistic than realistic. There's nothing wrong with that at all. Many modelers prefer that look. I think that it would look absolutely unbelievable if the panel line accents were more uneven and not as stark. Again, refer to the picture of the real thing. I hope this isn't taken the wrong way. I've never been able to effectively explain the differences between the two. I hope the pictures show what I'm talking about.

Unread December 3rd, 2009, 11:23 AM
Too many kits....

that thing is awesome. makes me want to trash my one that im doing for the GB

Andy

On the Bench:
Eduard 1/144 Mig 21 MF
Revell 1/32 BF109-G10
Hasegawa 1/200 C-40A Clipper

At some point:
Monogram B-25 turned into a PBJ-1
Unread December 3rd, 2009, 01:24 PM

I understand what D-rob say, that's what i call the " spanish way".....making a plane like making a figure....
i think that we actually all "cheat " when painting our models.....we just try to " catch the eyes" and force lots of details which in life are just "grey".....
looks like lots of people are following the same way.....

you know what could be a great challenge here in Z5, it's that everybody make a Thunderbird F16....to see the results between our differents tecniks !
Pat
Unread December 3rd, 2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Can't remember where do you come from ? Germany ? if yes...don't come with Christian Gherard...you gonna kill us with your beautifull models !!
!! Christian Gerard......never heard that name..... ! Cu 2010
Quote:
.....and now....what's next.....?? pat
First I have to finish my Tomcat Diorama......

But next project will be :

This 1/32 scale (Academy) VFA-83 Rampagers Charly Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rob View Post
....My critique (and it's a small one!) is that the panel lines on the model are evenly highlighted with a dark wash. They are consistant across all the engraved lines. It gives it the "Verlinden" finish, for lack of a better term. It's a very eye-catching finish, but it's more artistic than realistic. There's nothing wrong with that at all. Many modelers prefer that look.
Ohhh....now i understand what you mean. YES.......GUILTY........i love the "Verlinden" or "Spanish" style with a little bit darker wash.

Normaly i use around 60% black, 30% raw umber and 10% white.

btw: i spent several month for rescribing! So i want to see the lines lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by titan8251 View Post
that thing is awesome. makes me want to trash my one that im doing for the GB

Andy
Many thanks Andy!