Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > The Hobby Room > The Flightline

Notices

Old February 2nd, 2012, 09:44 AM
Regular schmoe...

Very nice! Great job on the finish and weathering.

I have an AccMin B-25 with the cannon nose...I think it will have to be built as a Marine bird!

"People drift towards liberalism at a young age, and I always hope they change when they see how the world really is." - Johnny Ramone

I'd rather be at KNHZ...

MAINT. CONTROL:

IW
1/48 Wolfpack T-38A

AWM
1/48 Collect Aire AF-2W Grumman Guardian (Restoration)
Old February 2nd, 2012, 09:58 AM

Very Cool!!! Thanks for sharing.

Rod
Old February 2nd, 2012, 10:34 AM

whow...nice model ! live the weathering of your dark blue !!
pat
Old February 2nd, 2012, 06:13 PM

Another winner from RT!

Thanks for the info on the exhaust stains.

Cheers, Stefan.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 09:59 PM

Send a message via MSN to POMPEO

Great wor on painting and weathering... a master piece

cheers

Vini Pompeo
Kitmaniac.com
Cold War GB

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/396996_488998204528352_2130959514_n.jpg
Old February 3rd, 2012, 12:03 AM

Just gorgeous! Congrats on a beautiful build, you captured the look of these South Pacific warhorses perfectly!

Semper,

Ski
Old February 5th, 2012, 04:54 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Craig Sargent

Very nice job as always - tough act to follow. Have the same aircraft and kit almost ready for paint. Where did you source 1/72 decals for 8-Ball?

Only differences I made ware to delete the waist gun windows and add the sheet metal wind deflectors as per the VMB website, and faired in the upper turret opening instead of laying a piece of card over the opening.

Did you do anything about the engine cowling issues?

On the bench
Hasegawa 1/48 F/A-18A Hornet 'R.A.A.F. 77 SQ 70th ANNIVERSARY
Old February 5th, 2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Sargent View Post
Very nice job as always - tough act to follow. Have the same aircraft and kit almost ready for paint. Where did you source 1/72 decals for 8-Ball?

Only differences I made ware to delete the waist gun windows and add the sheet metal wind deflectors as per the VMB website, and faired in the upper turret opening instead of laying a piece of card over the opening.

Did you do anything about the engine cowling issues?
Thanks Craig,

THe decals were from the spares box and the 8-Ball on the nose was done with a prim color white pencil. No other way to do it without going the custom decal route and it wasn't worth it for that.

Mine represents one early in the year of 1945 (February) when they just had arrived in the South Pacific. There are pixs that show the waist windows in place and I also did not want to have to build up the interior. Would have liked a better look at how the upper turret and how was removed and faired over. I chose the expedient route and just put a plate over it. They might have done something different, more research would be needed before I did another one. I did not do anything about the engine cowls.

After doing this one, I'd really like to do one in 1/48. It would be much later in the year where the paint had been removed/eroded off the leading edges and would get a full interior. Would most likely be a kit bash of the Accurate Min and Monogram. It would also get rockets under the wings. This is planning for the future.
R.T. Van Zandt II (#41265)
Old February 6th, 2012, 09:34 AM

Extremely nice finish! Well done.
Old August 26th, 2012, 09:27 PM

Default OUTSTANDING

I know this is an older thread, but I just discovered it and wanted to comment and pass some information. Let me begin by introducing myself. I am a retired Marine, and am also the son of "8-Ball's" ordnance chief. I am also the VMB-613 webmaster and historian, and an officer of the VMB-613 Association.

With that said, I wanted to commend the gentleman who constructed this model. As others have said, it is one of the best models I have seen of a VMB-613 PBJ. The coloring and weathering is superb! Also, the non-faded color of the paint where the package guns had been removed is 100% accurate. Your decision to simply place a round plate over the upper turret opening is also correct--that's just how it was done by the metalsmiths once the turret was removed. Simple but effective. Also, great to see that you fabricated and added the APG-13A radar gun director. Most people think it looks rather goofy and just leave it off, but this was an important and useful modification that was made to all VMB-613 aircraft before they headed overseas.

Now to point out a few minor things that most modelers miss. First, the dark blue on the upper surfaces of the wings and stabilizer should continue onto the lower surfaces on the leading edges and the entire lower surface edges of the port wingtip. This can be seen here:

On that same photo you will also see (if you look closely) a small antenna between the back of the pilot's canopy and the port side propeller spinner. This is the antenna mast (one on each side) that the aerial wires attached to.

As for the rockets, the mounts were installed at Ewa when the squadron was deploying to the central Pacific. They were in-place when the squadron arrived on Kwajalein in December 1944.

One minor error that everyone seems to make is leaving on the gun deflectors just aft of the turret. These were not part of the fuselage, but rather, were bolted on. When the upper turret was removed, these heavy deflectors were also removed as they no longer served any practical purpose. Although this is difficult to see in most photographs, it can be seen in this photo of "8-Ball" being stripped after the war on Roi Island:

As for the actual aircraft, it still exists. It is located in about 200-feet of water in the lagoon of Kwajalein atoll where it was dumped after the war. Lastly, yesterday I received a message that one of "8-Ball's" pilots, Jack Barton, passed away. Jack was the guy who named her upon the recommendation of his copilot, Bob Litzau. A few of the guys who flew in and maintained her are still with us.

Here is a photo of one of one of "8-Ball's" two crews:

Semper Fidelis,
Robert
Old August 26th, 2012, 09:57 PM

Welcome aboard obxgyrene! You'll find that there are quite a few former and currently-serving Marines on this website. Allow me to speak for others and say that we welcome your knowledge and invite you contribute any time you want to.
S/Fi - John B (I'm so old that my peers and roomies have all retired or gone over 20 years already)
Old August 27th, 2012, 06:04 AM
S/F not just a saying

Quote:
Originally Posted by John B View Post
Welcome aboard obxgyrene! You'll find that there are quite a few former and currently-serving Marines on this website. Allow me to speak for others and say that we welcome your knowledge and invite you contribute any time you want to.
S/Fi - John B (I'm so old that my peers and roomies have all retired or gone over 20 years already)
I agree with my brother, welcome aboard but I ain't as old and crusty like he is. Even if we ate the same sand.

Thanks for the tips on the build. Do like the website and have spent many an hour looking through all the pages. Only thing I dislike is not being able to click the squadron history pages and having to always go back the table of contents.

What part of OBX are you at?
The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.

Last edited by TANK; August 27th, 2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old August 27th, 2012, 03:51 PM

Thanks for the welcome brother Leathernecks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANK View Post
What part of OBX are you at?
I live in the birthplace of aviation, Kill Devil Hills (was part of Kitty Hawk in 1903 when the Wright Brothers flew).
Old August 27th, 2012, 04:13 PM
S/F not just a saying

Quote:
Originally Posted by obxgyrene View Post
I live in the birthplace of aviation, Kill Devil Hills (was part of Kitty Hawk in 1903 when the Wright Brothers flew).
GTG, passed through your town last year on the way to Duck. I am about 3.5hrs west.
The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.
Old August 27th, 2012, 07:52 PM

Awesome build!
Old August 28th, 2012, 02:25 PM
would rather be building!

simply amazing bro awesome job!

Andy

ON THE BENCH:
1/48 Tamiya Betty
1/48 hasegawa A-4F VFA-22
Old September 2nd, 2012, 10:00 PM

What an amazing finish!

Hard to believe it's 1/72 scale. Details look fantastic even with the camera's zoom.