Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > Group Builds > Centennial of Naval Aviation GB > Project Threads

Notices

Unread February 14th, 2011, 11:12 AM

Default TA-4J cammo--AB decals--Eduard

Hey all,

I thought Id post a thread as I painted this baby up. This is my first time using blu-tack.. Usualy I freehand cammo like this, but I wanted some good tight lines and I had to have the alignment of the paint PERFECT for the multi-color decals. So, a combonation of blu-tack strings, paper masks, and tape...and oh, about 5-6 hours of time to mask it all off!

This is mostly for the dark tan (next color), but I did some of the greens as well if they were over the light tan. Less to do later...

hopefull color will go on within the next couple of days...I dont want to leave that blu tack on there too long.

comments welcome
Andy

Unread February 16th, 2011, 11:50 AM

2nd color put on last night...Dark Tan

and now to mask for the Medium Green areas..

I forgot to stick this one in...I ended up mixing my own color for the base tan, using Model Master Radome Tan and a few drops of Military Brown. Pretty darn close match to the decals...though I think the decals are just a tad darker. Next time ill put in another drop of Mil Brown.

Hopefully Med green goes on tonight! and maybe even the dark green!
Andy
Unread February 17th, 2011, 09:24 AM

took another 2 hours to mask off for the Medium Green, so didnt get to shoot it last night...but its all set to go when I get home! Much of the Dark Green is also already masked off, so I might get both in tonight! I cant wait to pull all the masking off and see the results.
Unread February 17th, 2011, 10:16 AM
Too many kits....

Looking good man...I am going to get started on my Deamon or i might change it up....

Andy

On the Bench:
Eduard 1/144 Mig 21 MF
Revell 1/32 BF109-G10
Hasegawa 1/200 C-40A Clipper

At some point:
Monogram B-25 turned into a PBJ-1
Unread February 21st, 2011, 11:12 AM

Default Major paint done!

Had a very productive weekend... all the major paint is done, including the white and red.

total masking time...between 12-15 hours...painting time around 5-6!

Had to do some minor touch ups here and there, but since I did all the cammo colors (except the light tan) right out of the bottle, touch ups with a brush blended right in. The light tan I was smart enough to save a little in a plastic snap lid paint container (like those that paint by number paint comes in...you can get a whole set of new ones at Michaels...work great for keeping paint).

anyway...future coat is already on, and awaiting decals tonight! Tanks, intake plugs, and fuselage speed brakes are on just for pics at the moment.

comments welcome

Unread February 21st, 2011, 01:25 PM

Wow, that is looking great!!! Amazing paint job. Definitely one of the coolest looking Scooters around.

That paint mix for Radome tan/Military brown was something Andrew Desautel came up with years ago and he really nailed it. You're in good company.

-brian
Unread February 21st, 2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fightertown Decals Brian View Post
Wow, that is looking great!!! Amazing paint job. Definitely one of the coolest looking Scooters around.

That paint mix for Radome tan/Military brown was something Andrew Desautel came up with years ago and he really nailed it. You're in good company.

-brian
Thanks Brian! Im really looking forward to getting the decals on. so many scooters, so little time!

as for the paint, I found that mix via a couple of google searches. I 'thought' I had it matched to the color on the sheet, and maybe it was the fact that stuff was airbrushed so it has a slightly translucent, thus slightly lighter effect, but holding the decals up to the painted model both the light AND dark tan look darker on the sheet than on the model...drat. I thought I had it mixed right (as seen in the photo earlier). Of course, things always change once the decal is on the model, so we will see. I still think its so close that it will look good. The greens look spot on.

If I get the decals on tonight, ill post some pics of the results.
Unread February 21st, 2011, 09:48 PM

Hi Andy,

Great work here. I'll definately use this thread as some inspiration to get mine built, hopefully as nicely as yours is turning out... I'll be checking back often.

Cheers,

Mark
Unread February 22nd, 2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by model mob View Post
Hi Andy,

Great work here. I'll definately use this thread as some inspiration to get mine built, hopefully as nicely as yours is turning out... I'll be checking back often.

Cheers,

Mark
Thanks Mark! When you get around to doing yours, feel free to email me if you want any more details on how/what I did.
Unread February 22nd, 2011, 10:11 AM

Default Oh yeah..Decals ON

well, decals went on last night! And I am VERY pleased! Once off the backing paper, the light and dark tan decals lightened up a bit and ended up being a almost dead on match for the paint! Also for the most part, the multi-color decals and paint lines matched. There are a few minor touch ups Ill try with a small brush and paint, but overall, its darn close!

I used the Future method for the decals (3rd model doing this..works great!) Basicly, I give the entire model a light coat of Future (let dry), then when applying each decal I use a brush to apply another wet coat where the decal will go, placing the decal on the wet Future. Press down and work out any bubbles with a damp stiff brush and/or paper towel, and hit with a little MircoSol. Almost perfect decals every time! Oh, I use a damp brush after applying the decal to clean up around it, feathering out any Future around the decal.

The Afterburner decals are a joy to work with. Thin, strong, and good opaque colors! Even the light tan over the dark green showed hardly any change in value. I did find one possible error...the rescue arrow, E-seat triangle, and "Danger" box should probally be light tan, not the dark tan printed. Still looks good though.

I gave a few spots some hits with Solvaset this morning, so I should be able to give the decals a coat of future and start weathering tomorrow evening.

Andy
Unread February 22nd, 2011, 09:07 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to A4s-4eva

Great work to date on a very challanging scheme

Calum
Unread February 22nd, 2011, 09:57 PM
Steel Beach Resin

It looks like you're using the Steel Beach intake plugs and that they fit decently. I made them for the E/F kits, and for some reason, the intake lip shape on the J is slightly different and the plugs don't fit. Did you sand yours? I haven't tried my hand at adjusting them yet and thought you could shed some light on how you got yours to fit.
Unread February 22nd, 2011, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rob View Post
It looks like you're using the Steel Beach intake plugs and that they fit decently. I made them for the E/F kits, and for some reason, the intake lip shape on the J is slightly different and the plugs don't fit. Did you sand yours? I haven't tried my hand at adjusting them yet and thought you could shed some light on how you got yours to fit.
yeah, I didnt discover that little issue with the intakes until I tried fitting your plugs! Basicly I just took the file to them, removing material off of the curved side until they fit. In the pics above, I didnt press them in all the way yet, so they will actualy sit a little further in.

As for those intakes...I looked through my references and didnt find anything talking about smaller intakes. I have no idea what Hasegawa was thinking..unless they tried to cheat and use the sides off of the B/C kits so they wouldnt have to mold a new part (an intake without the plate on the side that the E-M has). I think next go around im going to use some extra E intakes I have and file off the plate. That could be another product for you if we can proves somewhere that Hasegawa gaffed on the intakes.

BTW, the classic airframes kit has the larger intakes (E/F).
Unread February 23rd, 2011, 12:00 PM

Looking great so far!! I did not know Merridian even did a Skyhawk that looked like that!! Nice job on the paint!

Brandon
Unread February 23rd, 2011, 09:59 PM

Hey Andy
I did this one last year "Pic's on somewhere here on Z5" and I made an attempt at freehanding the camo. Less time consuming that way ;-) I noticed you adjusted the slat wells "Good on ya!" not many guys bother but I think it really dresses up the model when guys take the time to make that fix.

Jim

Fear the Bones

A good friend will bail you out of jail, a great friend will ask "How did we get caught?"

On the Bench
1/350 IJN Nagato
Unread February 24th, 2011, 08:34 AM

Brandon and Jim, thanks for your comments! Yeah, the slat well fix is easy, and really didnt take that long at all. Strip of plastic, putty, and a file..

Jim, I think ive seen your model..isnt on the Afterburner facebook photo gallery? I ususaly do the freehand thing too...but on this one, the paint had to match the decal positions perfectly, so masks were the way to to for me. Plus there was little twists and turns in the cammo that I wanted to capture that I may have had a hard time doing freehand.

Ill have some updated photos posted up soon... I touched up a few places where the decals didnt match the paint exactly, and now they do. Going to hit it with a wash and such, then flat coat to start final weathering and assembly.
Unread February 25th, 2011, 08:07 PM

Sweet build!!
Unread February 25th, 2011, 10:25 PM

Man that is impressive! Nice camo work with all those tight lines. Looking forward to the final reveal on this one!
Unread February 26th, 2011, 01:33 PM

thanks guys!

Getting the wash and some detail painting done this weekend. Probally get the flat coat on by the end too and post up an update monday!

Andy
Unread February 28th, 2011, 09:42 AM

Default Almost there!

I was able to get quite a bit done over the weekend. A controled wash of dark brown/black oil paint (thinned with turpinoid) was used and cleaned up as I went along. I also used a sharpened automatic pencil to draw in a few lines that the wash didnt stay in or I wanted a bit darker. Once dry, dulcoat was airbrushed on. At that point, some decal silvering showed up.(arrrrh! I must not have used enough future when laying donw the decals) No big deal, I just took a fine brush and the appropriate color and carefully painted out the offending areas. Detail painting then commenced. Since these photos were done I've already added the nav beacons and drop tanks.

Next up, details in the canopy, attaching that, and some RBF tags plus fit in the intake plugs
Getting so close I can almost smell the JP-5!

Comments welcome as always!
Andy