Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > The Hobby Room > The Flightline

Notices

Unread July 31st, 2014, 09:59 AM

Default 1/72 Hasegawa F-14D VF-31 Sunset

After months of painstaking work and exhaustion, I finally finished this model. 72nd is not my usual scale, but I started this as a practice model for a couple of 48th scale Tomcats. It turned into a major project in itself.

I think Hasegawa Tomcats are generally demanding but with careful cleaning, dry fitting, and online research of other modelers' builds, it is not that bad. Certainly deviating from the instruction steps in a few places helps quite a bit.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1100676...d?noredirect=1

I made many arbitrary decisions along the way, so careful eyes will notice a lot of inaccuracies with the colors, weathering and decals. Also, there are several issues I am not too happy with (places that I thought won't be visible are very visible ). As always, I am open to all your critiques.

Unread July 31st, 2014, 10:00 AM

Unread July 31st, 2014, 10:00 AM

Unread July 31st, 2014, 12:36 PM

Looks great to me man!!

The only thing I see is the wing sweep wathering.... too triangular, it should be a bit more rounded.
I know otd hard to do with the wings having the flaps down so you cant trace the line when swept. To be honest, thats the only thing that really stood out to me.

Like I said though, it looks great. I Absolutly love the weathering with the different colors too!!
Unread July 31st, 2014, 01:10 PM
Trust me, I'm an engineer

A fabulous cat that belies it's scale. I admit I tend to be anal about fit and panel lines, and there are a couple of places where they seem to disappear or be a bit uneven; around the NACA scoop panel and on the seam between the intakes and the lower fuselage (the one before the panel line which touches the leading edge of the ventral fins). You can draw these in with a thin mechanical pencil since you have a flat finish - it will stick and you can use a piece of masking tape as a guide. If it leaves a metallic sheen, that will be eliminated if you carefully spray over it with clear flat.

Love the overall patchy look of this hardworking kitten.

Jens
Unread July 31st, 2014, 07:26 PM

Paintwork is brilliant! What a wonderful looking Delta Tomcat! :-D
Unread July 31st, 2014, 08:34 PM

gorgeous build man, I'd be proud to put it on my shelf
Unread August 1st, 2014, 02:54 AM

Looks damn good to me!

Jeff
Unread August 1st, 2014, 07:58 AM

Really impressive! I too been thinking about doing a 1/72 Hase Tomcat to get the skills up so that I could tackle the 1/48 kits. Your exceptional build proves that it can be done.

Thanks for the inspiration!

"3 - 2 - 1...Fight's on"

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e22/robertCarvallo/1-2.jpg
Unread August 1st, 2014, 10:24 AM

Do you have any close ups of the cockpit area?
Unread August 1st, 2014, 04:56 PM
Oompa

Having saw this jet up close, I can see a few things with the weathering overdone in some places, but the overall execution is pretty awesome.

I can't say I ever saw this particular jet with drop tanks or LANTIRN even prior to the Tomcat Sunset, but I can appreciate your desire to add those.

Really nice work!
Unread August 1st, 2014, 05:02 PM

Wow. Some of the best feedback I have received lately. Thank you all for your great observations and suggestions. I agree with virtually all of them (though I may not make the suggested changes in this model). This type of stuff helps you see the model from a different perspective, which is very useful.

As for the cockpit close-ups I have more pictures in the picasaweb link I gave above. Other than that, I have my build log on Arc > Jets > In-Progress, but not sure if that's what you are looking for. Were you specifically interested in the cockpit itself, canopy or fuselage sides (can take more pics if necessary)?
Unread August 8th, 2014, 10:19 AM
Oompa

Here was my 1/48th rendition from a few years ago. It was not exactly my best paint work, but ironically the assembly on this Hasegawa kit was by far the easiest I've ever done..and we all know none of the tomcat kits ever build the same.

Unread August 8th, 2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janissary View Post
Wow. Some of the best feedback I have received lately. Thank you all for your great observations and suggestions. I agree with virtually all of them (though I may not make the suggested changes in this model). This type of stuff helps you see the model from a different perspective, which is very useful.

As for the cockpit close-ups I have more pictures in the picasaweb link I gave above. Other than that, I have my build log on Arc > Jets > In-Progress, but not sure if that's what you are looking for. Were you specifically interested in the cockpit itself, canopy or fuselage sides (can take more pics if necessary)?
I just wanted to see inside the bucket and see how well it turned out. If the body has any reflection to the cockpit im sure its just as beautiful.

I was just curious. (:
Unread August 11th, 2014, 08:37 PM

Thank you guys. Bones, I think there might be some cockpit pics in the arc link I mentioned above, but I would say there is really nothing special. In addition to the photoetch of the kit itself, I used a few photoetch pieces from a 1/48 Hornet for the buckles (looks a little overscale).

Brian, I like your rendition. Your weathering is more accurate for sure. In fact, the vertical stabs are remarkably cleaner compared to the rest of the aircraft:

http://tvrphoto.photoshelter.com/sea...ch&I_DSC_AND=t

I couldn't bring myself to leave the vertic. stabs unweathered so I commend your strive for accuracy. Do you have more pics of it? I would love to see more.
Unread August 11th, 2014, 09:59 PM

All I can say is
Unread August 11th, 2014, 11:30 PM
Posterior Discomfort Facilitator

Send a message via MSN to Skull Leader

yeah, there's no such thing as a clean tomcat (except maybe when they first rolled off the line at Calverton), but as tomcats went, Bandwagon 102 was probably one of the cleaner ones marching toward the inevitable end of days... not that it detracts from your gorgeous build though!

Here's Bandwagon 102 as I photographed her on the day of the final flight ceremony (that she never actually made). VFA-103 guy is somewhere off to the left.... probably harassing that big-breasted chick from Bombardier-Quebec that was at the ceremony...