Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > The Hobby Room > The Workbench

Notices

Unread August 22nd, 2015, 11:34 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to tomcat_tweeker
Default 1/48 HobbyBoss F4U-5 Corsair

Hi All!

I've always loved the corsair.... In fact it is probably the most built Aircraft I have done.....

This will be mostly OOB, with the exception of a corrected Prop from Quickboost, Brassin HVAR Rockets and if need be some Quickboost Antennas. This stuff is en-route now from Sprue Bro's.

And for markings, I'll be using Cam decals depicting BuNo 122066 of VMA-224 based at NAS Miami 1952

Started with the pit........
Got everything cut off the sprues and tidied up.

Sorted out some ejector pin marks with CA and accelerator

Didn't like how the sidewall structure fit. seemed to be setting too high. So I adjusted the locators till it sat flush

Then Primed everything w/ Stynylrez

Painted Interior green

Finished up the Pit. -5's and up had all black interior w/ the exception of the floor, seat and FWD Bulkhead. Painted the Head rest Gunze Propeller Red, Dry brushed with Mr Metal Aluminum, And washed with MIG washes

And waiting on the Inst Panel Decal to settle. Put down some Mr Mark Setter then decal then Used Salvaset on top. Working pretty well!

That's All for now!

Thanks for looking!

Dave
Unread August 23rd, 2015, 10:55 PM

Hi All! Update time!

Kinda all over the place on this one... LOL

The chin scoops on the cowl needed a lil bit of filler but wasn't bad an looked good after primer

The cowl flaps are way thick, so i thinned them out a bit to look a bit more realistic, The upper right in pic has been thinned. you can so tell the difference

All thinned and looking better

Started work on the motor

Now the Prop shaft was a bit of a head scratcher! From what I could tell, There wasn't a means of keeping the shaft from coming out after the prop was installed. There was an aft stop, but not a front stop other than the nose of the engine. That would allow the prop to be pulled out a good 1/4 inch plus. So I scrounged a prop grommet from a Tamiya P-47 kit and just slid it over the shaft, then placed the shaft against the rear of the motor and slid the nose piece down into place. This pushed the grommet down and stopped right where it needed to be.

Then using styrene filler... I globbed a bit on the rear of the grommet to keep it in place.

Finished the IP, Flat coated , then future for the inst glass. Just realized i didn't take a pic of the pit with this installed! Sorry just got carried away! lol

Built up the tail strut assy.

I notched out the tail strut mounts in the fuselage so I can get the thing in after paint during final assy. I wanted to ensure I had some fuselage structure to bond it too instead of just cutting the pins off the strut and relying on superglue to do the job.

Glued in the Tail hook support assy.

And buttoned the fuselage up. Not too bad of a fit. Will require some seam work but not too terrible and no worse than a HAS kit.

Finished up the Motor. Painted w Mr Metal Color Dark Iron and Buffed. I did not build and install the Accessory gearbox that mounts to the aft of the motor. Although it looks pretty cool, It will never be seen and if installed, Requires the motor to be installed before you glue the fuselage together... My goal is to leave the motor out thru the painting stage and install during final assy. This will make masking easier of the cowling. Fingers crossed! LOL

The motor really needs spark plug wires, but my eyes just cant handle it! Even with augmentation using magnifying glasses.... Just too much for me. But the engine does look good without!

cowling test fit looks good!

Cowl flaps look heaps better!

That's it for now!

Thanks for looking!

Dave
Unread August 23rd, 2015, 11:24 PM

Looking good. I agree with you about the Corsair being a great plane. Keep it up. I have one in me stash waiting to be build.

Ken
Unread August 24th, 2015, 01:30 AM

Thanks Ken! Appreciate it!

Dave
Unread August 24th, 2015, 08:59 AM
Too many kits....

Looking good man. you gonna fold the wings on it?

On the Bench:
Eduard 1/144 Mig 21 MF
Revell 1/32 BF109-G10
Hasegawa 1/200 C-40A Clipper

At some point:
Monogram B-25 turned into a PBJ-1
Unread August 24th, 2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan8251 View Post
Looking good man. you gonna fold the wings on it?
Thanks!

I don't think so.... Just love the overall shape of the bird! Folding the wings just looses something..

Dave
Unread August 25th, 2015, 12:39 AM

One more quick update......

Well, What was turning into a pretty cool build with a new tool Corsair, things have turned to the worse! Was moving on to the wings and I noticed a HUGE error on HobbyBoss's part... The -5 onward, Had all metal wings... No more fabric on the outer wings.... Well, looks like they just are using the same mold for the -4's! Bummer! Also the rudder shouldn't have as pronounced troughs.

So out comes the Mr Surfacer 500. In Hindsight I probably should have used Milliput, But it is what it is

So since I was making a mess, I noticed as well that the rudder trim tab actuator is different on the -5's. Its mounted on the Right side of the stab and attaches to the tab on the lower edge. So I used a chisel to cut it off and with luck re-position on the right side.

Next I finished up the Motor... Painted up and installed the exhausts... This is a pretty sweet feature!
Painted with Alclad Exhaust manifold and mixed in 2 drops of Mr Color Hull Red to give it a rusty texture. Pic doesn't really do it justice, but it turned out well. But the true test will be how it looks against the Sea Blue Paint later on..

Next I worked the Fuselage seams... Fairly happy with them, Just need to tidy up a couple panel lines and rivets.

And lastly for the night, I worked the horizontal stabs.... Nice having the elevators separate. I trimmed back the locating tabs so that they could be drooped... Easy but effective mod. Turned out nice!

Well that's it for now!

Thanks for looking!

Dave
Unread August 27th, 2015, 07:45 AM

Hi All! Update Time!

Still sorting out the wing panels. Just a couple of under contours to sus out. But still pluggin along...

Mounted some aligning tabs using plasicard to the Fuselage/Center wing section joints....

While the tabs were drying I decided to work the cooler scoops.... The mesh detail on the parts were very faint and these are kinda pronounced on the real deal. So I broke out the modeling mesh and had a go at sprucing them up.

Found this super thin CA here and WOW! It is thin! Used a nozzle applicator and the glue sucked right under the mesh and bonded great!

Looks pretty good!

Then test fitted the center wing to the fuselage.... Think this will glue down nicely!

Glued on the Horizontals! Great fit! Alignment seems to me to be OK!

Well that's all for now

Thanks for looking!

Dave
Unread August 27th, 2015, 04:58 PM

Looking really good!
Unread August 28th, 2015, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekon View Post
Looking really good!
Thanks You Dekon!

Dave
Unread August 30th, 2015, 09:11 AM

Hi All! Update time!

It's been a while.... The wing panels really took the wind out of my sail.... But I got them sorted out..... Here is where I'm At now....

Major assembly is complete..... All was pretty straight forward...

Wing Panels and rudder after filling.....

Decided to extend the flaps.... Just modified the molded in hinges on the flap pieces to accommodate down travel. Then filled the gap between inboard and middle flap. Fairly straight forward....

Glued in the ailerons deflected to match the control stick position in cockpit.

Attached the rocket rails. Had to eyeball them as I forgot to drill open the locating holes! Doh!!! They look ok but I feel I have the outbd 2 spaced to far apart. But it will have to do....

Was playing with some Hitaka Paints that I will probably use for the primary color.... Think I may give them a go....

Filled the Cowl with a masking sponge and temp glued in place with PVA. Will install motor after primary painting and permanently attach the cowl.

One thing that took a while was when I glued in the flaps, The L/H outbd had got some glue between the it and the skin at the trailing edge of the wing. And it melted it pretty bad! I cleaned it up as best I could and then taped the flap well following its contour and extend it beyond the trailing edge.... Applied some styrene filler to fill in the missing material and let it cure.... Trimmed and sanded to shape. Sorry I forgot to take ics of the process... Was kinda freaking out at the time! LOL But it turned out pretty well considering....

I wanted to install a Centerline bomb rack. I have an old Heller AU-1 kit in the stash and it actually has one... So I used it as a template to fabricate one out of sheet styrene... Also robbed a Rack mount from a HAS AU-1 kit and put it in the rack.... Still needs some work but its almost there..

And Finally, I wasn't a big fan of the Outbd Fuselage pylons/Racks. So I robbed 2 from a HAS F4U-5 Kit...

Well that's it for now!

Thanks for looking!

Dave
Unread August 30th, 2015, 11:43 AM
Internet Hero

Looks good so far! Going to do the same a/c using a Has -5 at some point. Total SWAG on my part but I don't buy the flat black they call out for the anti glare. Was going to do mine with clear flat over the GSB. But again, total SWAG on my part.

You have an online source for those Has Trypart meshes?

Your fabric surface corrects turned out pretty good.

"Man gets shot that's got a gun, there's room for reasonable doubt. Man gets shot that hasn't got a gun, what would you call it?" John T. Chance
Unread August 30th, 2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre Freak View Post
Looks good so far! Going to do the same a/c using a Has -5 at some point. Total SWAG on my part but I don't buy the flat black they call out for the anti glare. Was going to do mine with clear flat over the GSB. But again, total SWAG on my part.

You have an online source for those Has Trypart meshes?

Your fabric surface corrects turned out pretty good.
Thanks man!

Well not sure about an online source. I buy locally here in Okinawa, but if ya strike out finding anything locally in the states, give me a shout. I'll be glad to pick ya up some. I can send it too ya no prob via usps. There are a few different sizes. At least 2 if not more.

Dave
Unread September 4th, 2015, 11:52 AM

Hi All! Update time!

1st off, I haven't taken the amount of pics I would have liked too. My job has been a bit needy as of late. And then I get the word I need to prepare for a work relayed trip. Gonna hang up my Supervisor hat and put on my Flight Mechanic hat.... So I have 1 more day to make some progress before I leave......

Anywho.... Here's where I'm at.

Painted and decals have been applied.... and sealed with Mr Color Super clear.....

I must say, The Hataka Paints are temperamental! And I still haven't found the right mix..... But... Not gonna give up just yet..... I did manage to spray without any clogging issues, but it did not dry very smooth.... It was very pebbly. Next use I will experiment with thinning and paint retarders....

What I chose to do was after the paint dried, I brush painted 2 light coats of future over the entire model. Let it set for almost 2 days... then I rubbed it out with some 0000 steel wool. Then I shot it with Mr Color super clear and then decaled after it dried....

Here are the pics before and after decals.

Also worked the prop... I don't really like the hub shape and size of the HB sample, so I had a prop from a Tamiya P-47 that meet an un timely demise a couple years ago. I did some research and from what I could gather... They are the same prop. Definitely the hub, but the blades may be different model numbers. But.... close enough for me.....

Well that's it for now..

Thanks for looking!

Dave
Unread September 4th, 2015, 12:49 PM

heavy job !! but turning great
pat
Unread September 4th, 2015, 02:35 PM

Thanks Pat! Appreciate it!

Dave
Unread September 4th, 2015, 02:38 PM

very interesting build to follow, i'm thinking at the F4U-4 from HB too.....
pat
Unread October 24th, 2015, 06:23 AM

Hi All!

Well it's been a while!

Worked the Load out

And Weathered

Installed the stores, Mounted the antenna's and Unmasked the canopy.....

Calling this one done......

All in all, even with the Wing issues.... This is a really nice kit..... Fit was great and detail is great OOB.

But it is a disappointment that HB missed the boat on the wings on the later Dash''ed F4U's.

The -4's I recon would be rally a treat to build....

Thanks for looking!

Dave
Unread October 24th, 2015, 11:39 AM

Impressive build, Dave!!

"3 - 2 - 1...Fight's on"

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e22/robertCarvallo/1-2.jpg
Unread October 24th, 2015, 12:14 PM

Thanks Rob!

Dave