Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > General Modeling Discussion > General Modeling Discussion

Notices

Unread January 5th, 2012, 05:56 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Dondy Send a message via Skype™ to Dondy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBoilermaker View Post
Looks nice, but I guess it's only meant for acrylics:

"- Not intented for use with hazardous materials, flammable or explosive paints or materials."

-Mike
On the producers internet side there is this text:
"Das Gerät ist auch zum Absaugen von Lötdämpfen bei Tiffany, Gießarbeiten mit Zinn/Blei oder für Arbeiten mit Klebestoffen und Lösungsmitteldämpfen eine optimale Hilfe"

Rough google translation:
"The unit is also for the extraction of Soldering Fumes at Tiffany's, casting operations with tin / lead or work with adhesives and solvent vapors using an optimal"

So I guess that the relatively small amount of our non-acrylic paints wont hurt the unit too much?!
Unread January 5th, 2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondy View Post
Rough google translation:
"The unit is also for the extraction of Soldering Fumes at Tiffany's, casting operations with tin / lead or work with adhesives and solvent vapors using an optimal"

So I guess that the relatively small amount of our non-acrylic paints wont hurt the unit too much?!

I guess it's good to go.
Unread June 28th, 2015, 09:26 PM

Viper,
So, 3 yrs later how does this spray booth hold up? I have a home-made one with a furnace fan, but it is so freakin big (so to speak) and noisy that I'd like to find something more compact. I like the price of this one, and even with two, it's half the price of the next option.

cheers,
Mike
Unread June 29th, 2015, 12:55 PM
gulfshores508.com

I've had this spray booth for a couple of years now and it's just ok. It does the job, but the materials don't hold up well to my continued set up and take down of the booth. The plastic of the transparent sidewalls is brittle and I've had some locating pins snap, as well as one of the hinges break. The reel for the power cord also stopped working after the first few retractions. But, it does the job and keeps the fumes and overspray out of my home-- and the price was right. If you don't have to break down your painting area like I do, then I'd say it's a good deal.
Unread June 29th, 2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meagap View Post
I've had this spray booth for a couple of years now and it's just ok. It does the job, but the materials don't hold up well to my continued set up and take down of the booth. The plastic of the transparent sidewalls is brittle and I've had some locating pins snap, as well as one of the hinges break. The reel for the power cord also stopped working after the first few retractions. But, it does the job and keeps the fumes and overspray out of my home-- and the price was right. If you don't have to break down your painting area like I do, then I'd say it's a good deal.
THanks for the info! I would keep it setup on the end of my bench near the window. I'm in the process of swapping out most of my enamels for acrylics (tamiya or vallejo), but will need something to handle the occasional alclad or metalizers.

cheers,
Mike
Unread June 29th, 2015, 10:05 PM
Regular schmoe...

I thought about picking up one of those...but decided I am going to build one instead:

http://vent-works.com/blogs/the-vent...by-spray-booth

The only modification from those plans are to make it a bit wider (30 inches)

The fan is readily available and said to be relatively quiet.

I'm done with painting out in the garage and battling the elements and mosquitos!!

MAINT. CONTROL

IW

Hobbyboss TBF-1C

AWM
1/48 Collect Aire AF-2W Grumman Guardian (Restoration)
...I know, I'll get back to it soon enough!
Unread June 29th, 2015, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
I thought about picking up one of those...but decided I am going to build one instead:

http://vent-works.com/blogs/the-vent...by-spray-booth

The only modification from those plans are to make it a bit wider (30 inches)

The fan is readily available and said to be relatively quiet.

I'm done with painting out in the garage and battling the elements and mosquitos!!
That's more or less what I built. I have the same Dayton blower fan from Grainger. It's a little loud, and vibrates my work bench. Mines 30 inches wide by about 24 high and deep. It does the job, but takes up a lot of real-estate.
Unread June 29th, 2015, 10:29 PM
Regular schmoe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by longmc View Post
That's more or less what I built. I have the same Dayton blower fan from Grainger. It's a little loud, and vibrates my work bench. Mines 30 inches wide by about 24 high and deep. It does the job, but takes up a lot of real-estate.
A couple of questions on the fan, did it come with a power cord and what type of fitting/adaptor did you use to attach the vent hose to the fans square outlet?

MAINT. CONTROL

IW

Hobbyboss TBF-1C

AWM
Unread June 30th, 2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
A couple of questions on the fan, did it come with a power cord and what type of fitting/adaptor did you use to attach the vent hose to the fans square outlet?
It does not come with a cord. I used a PC power cord, and just cut the end off and wired it in. If I was to do it again, I'd wire it to a light switch then to the power cord.
I made a plate for the exhaust with a 4" hole to adapt to dryer vent tubing.
Also, the exhaust has a 1/4" lip that prevents the fan from sitting level. I had to make a 1/4" plate with another 4" hole to mount to the top of the booth.
I would like to have seen how they mounted theirs in the instructions.
Unread June 30th, 2015, 04:56 PM

Wow, I can't believe it's been 3 years since I started this thread! Anyway, as posted on ARC, since purchasing the two spraybooths from Amazon, I sold them off and went with a much more powerful unit. The bottom line was that the Amazon-purchased booths weren't powerful enough to move the vapors from things like lacquers (when spraying Alclad's and Mr. Metal Coat metallics). They were okay with acrylics but paint particles did build up on the filter during longer painting sessions. The extractor/booth unit I have now is 100 times better. It's a semi-industrial extraction unit and it's powerful but, amazingly, super quiet. Some pics:

The extractor unit comes with a large folded styrene sheet (to make the booth) but I decided to not use that and, instead, purchased a white foam board that I cut to shape and attached to the built-in Velcro strip to prevent overspray. As you can see in the pics, you can manipulate the angle of the board to paint pretty much any size model:

This is an expensive unit, no doubt, and it has to be imported. However, I felt the need to get it as my hobby area is right next to my son's room. Better be safe than sorry.

Here's a link for anyone interested:

http://www.benchvent.com/art-graphic...xtraction-unit

HTH,

"3 - 2 - 1...Fight's on"

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e22/robertCarvallo/1-2.jpg

Last edited by galileo1; June 30th, 2015 at 05:07 PM.
Unread July 1st, 2015, 03:56 PM
Regular schmoe...

Quote:
It does not come with a cord. I used a PC power cord, and just cut the end off and wired it in. If I was to do it again, I'd wire it to a light switch then to the power cord.
I made a plate for the exhaust with a 4" hole to adapt to dryer vent tubing.
Also, the exhaust has a 1/4" lip that prevents the fan from sitting level. I had to make a 1/4" plate with another 4" hole to mount to the top of the booth.
I would like to have seen how they mounted theirs in the instructions.
Alright, cool, thank you for the info. Yeah, I think I'd like to have an ON/OFF switch to go with it.

About the lip, I noticed that in looking at the 360 deg view of the fan and wondered why the guys on that site make no mention of it nor the square exhaust opening and how to adapt it to a 4" dryer vent hose.

Oh, well, I'm a mechanic (they say...) so I should be able to take care of it. The biggest hurdle is convincing my wife that I can install a proper vent and it will not hurt any resale value of our home!

MAINT. CONTROL

IW

Hobbyboss TBF-1C

AWM
Unread July 2nd, 2015, 04:57 AM
gulfshores508.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by galileo1 View Post
Wow, I can't believe it's been 3 years since I started this thread! Anyway, as posted on ARC, since purchasing the two spraybooths from Amazon, I sold them off and went with a much more powerful unit. The bottom line was that the Amazon-purchased booths weren't powerful enough to move the vapors from things like lacquers (when spraying Alclad's and Mr. Metal Coat metallics). They were okay with acrylics but paint particles did build up on the filter during longer painting sessions. The extractor/booth unit I have now is 100 times better. It's a semi-industrial extraction unit and it's powerful but, amazingly, super quiet. Some pics:

This is an expensive unit, no doubt, and it has to be imported. However, I felt the need to get it as my hobby area is right next to my son's room. Better be safe than sorry.

Here's a link for anyone interested:

http://www.benchvent.com/art-graphic...xtraction-unit

HTH,
THAT is a sweet set up! Once we end up where we're going to end up, I want that.
Unread July 2nd, 2015, 03:07 PM

You will NOT regret the BenchVent 300S-D, meagap. The vendor is also unbelievably reliable and their customer service is the best I've seen (and they're in England!). I recently ordered some spare filters and they arrived, I kid you not, in TWO days!

As I said, it's not cheap (over $400 U.S.) but, like anything else, you get what you pay for. It sure does beat some of the other booths out there in terms space requirements, portability, airflow, and maintenance. Most of our UK fellow modelers use this one and they love it. You can't go wrong.

"3 - 2 - 1...Fight's on"

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e22/robertCarvallo/1-2.jpg
Unread August 6th, 2015, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Alright, cool, thank you for the info. Yeah, I think I'd like to have an ON/OFF switch to go with it.

About the lip, I noticed that in looking at the 360 deg view of the fan and wondered why the guys on that site make no mention of it nor the square exhaust opening and how to adapt it to a 4" dryer vent hose.

Oh, well, I'm a mechanic (they say...) so I should be able to take care of it. The biggest hurdle is convincing my wife that I can install a proper vent and it will not hurt any resale value of our home!
Ok, update time....
After I finished my garage cleaning/workbench build, I found some leftover plywood. I decided to use the diagrams on their site and build the spraybooth to see how it would look and work.
It was super-easy and works amazingly well! I'm assuming that the dimensions of my old spray booth were out of whack causing it to swirl the air instead of pulling it out.
I'll try and get some pics for you if you haven't already started. I had to do some adjusting to get the fan to fit. I mounted it directly to the wood back.
At some point I'd like to get some better wood and make better cuts and attachments. This was a hack just to see, but it works very well and there were models to paint, so it'll have to wait.

cheers,
Mike
Unread August 7th, 2015, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Viper,
So, 3 yrs later how does this spray booth hold up? I have a home-made one with a furnace fan, but it is so freakin big (so to speak) and noisy that I'd like to find something more compact. I like the price of this one, and even with two, it's half the price of the next option.

cheers,
Mike
Been busy and Z-5 was off and on for a bit so apologies for the delay ...as for the booth All Is Great the thing is awesome It is used almost daily. I have sprayer everything including decanting Tamiya Spray paint. I rarely have any residual smell If there is any it only lingers for 10 minutes +/- a few... I have countless 1000's of hours on the motor and have not had any issues. For a budget unit It far exceeded my expectations....The motor in mine from a sound level is about mid level but likely way quieter than the fan furnace motor....
Unread August 27th, 2015, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galileo1 View Post
You will NOT regret the BenchVent 300S-D, meagap. The vendor is also unbelievably reliable and their customer service is the best I've seen (and they're in England!). I recently ordered some spare filters and they arrived, I kid you not, in TWO days!

As I said, it's not cheap (over $400 U.S.) but, like anything else, you get what you pay for. It sure does beat some of the other booths out there in terms space requirements, portability, airflow, and maintenance. Most of our UK fellow modelers use this one and they love it. You can't go wrong.
Rob, does this ventilation system only fits their own filters or can customers use other filters? What I'm trying to understand is will this system use standard filters that we can find here in US at local hardware store or is the customer stuck ordering filters from UK?