Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > The Hobby Room > The Workbench

Notices

Unread April 6th, 2015, 08:21 AM

Default Tarangus SAAB JA37 Di Viggen

Now lets' do a Tarangus SAAB JA37 Di Viggen

This is by no means a shake and bake kit. I've had some fit issues with both the radome,wings and airintakes. However the plastic is relatively easy to work with so they are fixable. The worst part is on the airintake sides and in the radome area where there is some difference in hight on the plastic.. that took a while to get right, some superglue, sanding and rescribeling fixed that up nicely, but it took like forever.

Cocpit more or less ready. Let's close it up and get ready for paint. still some work before we can start the paiting process , but we're gettin there.
This will be a gray Viggen btw. I have two more in my stash and atleast one of them will be in camo. However I think the gray ones look way better espesially those with dayglow numbers on the wings and tail. I have some 2Bobs decals on the way so I will use them naturally. But other than decals , PE cocpit and some missiles from the spares box, this will be an OOB build.

I found that the canard flaps is always dropped as long as the landing gear is down so I did just that. this would have been alot easyer if I did it before I placed them on the jet though.

Also the -37 in this config's got two vortex generators on the canards , not just one. so I made some aproximations using some evergreen.

Now lets put on some antennaes , struts and check for cracks that need filling.

Unread April 9th, 2015, 04:24 AM
Global-warming is a farce

Send a message via Skype™ to Samurai_Chris

I don't know why, but when I read your posts, in my head, I am reading them with a Norwegian accent lol...

Excellent choice of subject.. Great to see something none American/ bicentennial/ or Vietnam era for a change! Can't say I am a lover of the Viggen design, but I am sure you will make her look a treat!
Unread April 9th, 2015, 06:49 AM

Chris, that's your head dude. I speak with a north american accent, for some reason I often get asked if I'm from Canada.

My typing is a little off usually due to the fact that I have very bad case of dyslexia (not sure about the spelling on that one... *doh*)

You don't see to many non - us builds here. I've always had a thing for the Viggen and when it finally was released I had to get me a cupple, so I started the first and have two more in my stash. This will be one from F17, I'l build another gray from F4 and one in 4 tone cammo from , probably F4 that one also.

Here is an update on my build. I'm really enjoying this

All set for the decals. I did some more shade on selected panels to brake up the monotone gray , now it looks better as far as I'm concerned.

This will be 17-38 from F17. I originally wanted to do one from F4 as they have a cool pendant on the tail, but I did't have all the markings I needed so F17 is my 2'nd choise

Last edited by TigerBlack; April 9th, 2015 at 06:56 AM.
Unread April 9th, 2015, 08:06 AM

Looking real nice, digging the finish. Did you rescribe the elevons on the canards? Love the Viggen, saw a demo at Farnborough in 1980, impressive aircraft. The splintered green scheme is high on my to do list. I waiting for the resin goodies to hit the market!��

John
Unread April 9th, 2015, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M. View Post
Looking real nice, digging the finish. Did you rescribe the elevons on the canards? Love the Viggen, saw a demo at Farnborough in 1980, impressive aircraft. The splintered green scheme is high on my to do list. I waiting for the resin goodies to hit the market!��

John
I just repositioned them they come moulded in the "up" position and not really repositionable so I cut them loose and repositioned them down. The canard elevons are always in the down position when the landing gear is deployed. And I also added a vortex "thing" , the JA37 has two on each canard the kit has one.
I also added spine antennaes and the white flat thing on the spine is slightly elevated on the real jet so I cut a piece of evergreen to shape and placed it under the decal .

There is a fair amount of scratch building on this to get it to Di-standard , but nothing much. I have to remake the rear spine antennae as this is way to short.
Unread April 9th, 2015, 10:41 AM

Working the decals.. man.. I'm not gonna give Tarangus a thumbs up for these.. They curl up the wrong way and I'm having a helluva time gettin them to sit right. they are also very "stiff" soI'm using gunze mr mark soft in order for them to lay down like they are supposed to

Unread April 9th, 2015, 12:14 PM

Looks great! I had this kit for a couple of weeks but sold it off. Might get another one at some point. It's a great looking jet!

"3 - 2 - 1...Fight's on"

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e22/robertCarvallo/1-2.jpg