Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > Manufacturer's Corner - Inactive > Shull24.com

Notices

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread November 23rd, 2010, 10:20 PM
JakeMelampy's Avatar
JakeMelampy JakeMelampy is offline
I enjoy busting Scott's balls
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: southwest Ohio
Posts: 3,567
Default GBU-54?

Any chance of getting some of these new weapons? I have the walkarounds if you don't already have any.
__________________
Jake Melampy
Reid Air Publications
www.reidairpublishing.com

Speed Hunter Graphics
www.speedhuntergraphics.com
-----------------------------------------
  #2  
Unread November 24th, 2010, 11:28 AM
graves_09 graves_09 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pax River, MD
Posts: 647
Default

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference (modeling wise) between the -54 and -38? From the pics I have seen, the only thing I can tell is some stenciling markings are different.
  #3  
Unread November 24th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Reddog
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by graves_09 View Post
Please forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference (modeling wise) between the -54 and -38? From the pics I have seen, the only thing I can tell is some stenciling markings are different.
A silver dot on the DSU, four hose clamps and a wiring conduit along the belly.

Reddog
  #4  
Unread November 24th, 2010, 02:16 PM
graves_09 graves_09 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pax River, MD
Posts: 647
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog View Post
A silver dot on the DSU, four hose clamps and a wiring conduit along the belly.

Reddog
Is any of that big enough to even see in 1/48 scale? Or would a Shull GBU-38 with a "-54" stencile pass for a GBU-54? If that were the case, it would seem to me that a new resin item isn't needed.

Edit: after looking at pics, the hose clamps look like they would probably be well represented with a silver decal. I'm not sure about the wiring conduit because I couldn't find any good pics of the bottom view. The silver dot could either be painted on or a decal.

Last edited by graves_09; November 24th, 2010 at 02:21 PM.
  #5  
Unread November 24th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Reddog
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by graves_09 View Post
Is any of that big enough to even see in 1/48 scale? Or would a Shull GBU-38 with a "-54" stencile pass for a GBU-54? If that were the case, it would seem to me that a new resin item isn't needed.

Edit: after looking at pics, the hose clamps look like they would probably be well represented with a silver decal. I'm not sure about the wiring conduit because I couldn't find any good pics of the bottom view. The silver dot could either be painted on or a decal.
Here's what I would do to convert a GBU-38 to a GBU-54;

1) paint a silver dot on the very center of the DSU (sensor)
2) Thin plastic stock, about 3 inches wide, one inch deep and from just aft of the DSU to the four inches past the front edge of the guidance kit (tail fin) (note; all dimensions actual).
3) Think plastic stock from the end of the belly condit to the bottom aft corner of the fuze access door, left side of guidance kit.
4) Paint or decal four silver rings around the body of the bomb

And presto, you have a GBU-54 LJDAM.

Reddog
  #6  
Unread November 24th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Kingfish's Avatar
Kingfish Kingfish is offline
Samurai Slayer
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: any damn place I please
Posts: 2,459
Default

This thread is worthless without pics. WFT is a DSU?
__________________
Ceci n'est pas une pipe...
  #7  
Unread November 24th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Reddog
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish View Post
This thread is worthless without pics. WFT is a DSU?
DSU-33B/B or C/B Prox Sensor for JDAM, DSU-38/B Laser Sensor for LJDAM.

http://img192.imageshack.us/i/100930f6044b101.jpg/
http://img337.imageshack.us/i/101001f6044b241.jpg/
http://img.lenta.ru/news/2008/08/29/ljdam/picture.jpg

Sorry, can't post pic.

Reddog
  #8  
Unread November 24th, 2010, 04:57 PM
JakeMelampy's Avatar
JakeMelampy JakeMelampy is offline
I enjoy busting Scott's balls
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: southwest Ohio
Posts: 3,567
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish View Post
This thread is worthless without pics. WFT is a DSU?
I'll post some later.
__________________
Jake Melampy
Reid Air Publications
www.reidairpublishing.com

Speed Hunter Graphics
www.speedhuntergraphics.com
-----------------------------------------
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.