Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > The Tweaks Lists > Prop Aircraft Tweak Lists

Notices

Unread October 12th, 2014, 10:38 AM

Default 1/32 Revell Spitfire MkII

I need to take a break from building this one, so I thought I would share a few things I've learned about the early Spitfire in general and the Revell kit in particular.

Prop- The Revell kit provides the DeHavilland style pointed spinner and prop, which is correct for most MkI's and a few (late?) MkII's. The Rotol style prop with the blunt spinner was fitted to 54 and 66 squadron MkI's and most MkII's.
Eagle Parts has a Rotol prop part #70-32.

Coffman cartridge starter bulge- This is the main external difference between the MkI and MkII. Revell provides this as a separate part (part #176). For a MkI, leave this off.

Oil cooler- The Revell kit gives you the round style oil cooler which was not introduced until the MkV. Eagle Parts 71-32 provides the proper half-round oil cooler. Barracuda Cast has a wing upgrade set #32175 which includes new oil cooler, radiator, and fabric ailerons.

Ailerons- The metal ailerons Revell provides were retrofitted to MkI's and II's starting in November 1940, but it was a very slow process and as late as June '41 Spitfires were still being delivered with fabric ailerons. The Barracuda Cast wing upgrade set provides the fabric ailerons or you can fill in the recessed rivets and use some thin tape to simulate the rib tapes.

Seat- The seats in vast majority of Spitfires were molded in Bakelite plastic, and were kind of a streaky red-brown with a hint of orange. Model Master British Crimson is a good starting point out of the bottle. The seat was also fitted with a black leather back pad. I created the backpad and the seat harness in Photoshop, printed them on normal paper, and glued them to the kit seat, but Barracuda Cast 32-001 would be a lot easier.

Underside color- The "RAF Sky" color we're familiar with wasn't standardized until early 1941. Before that, a number of light blues were used. I've picked out a color that's more blue than green, but any underside color used will be mostly a guess. Also on many aircraft the underside roundels were either missing or were very small and located at the extreme tip of the wings.

IFF- Beginning in September 1940 IFF began to be fitted to Spitfires. Externally this consisted of two wire antennas running from the mid-fuselage to the tips of the horizontal tail. The problem is, not all aircraft were fitted and it's very difficult so see in photos, so use your best judgement.

Radio- The mast Revell provides is for the VHF radio, which didn't require a wire antenna from the mast to the rudder. This was fitted beginning in September 1940. For the earlier style radio, make a small triangular "pennant" for the mast and run a wire antenna from the fuselage just aft of the mast to the "pennant" and then back to the funny-shaped thing atop the rudder.

Instrument Panel- The instrument panel decal in my kit didn't match the molded details on the panel. I recommend cutting out the individual instruments and applying them one by one.

I hope you find my ramblings somewhat helpful, and please feel free to jump in if I've missed something.

Wayne

Last edited by wag; October 12th, 2014 at 10:40 AM.
Unread October 27th, 2014, 06:35 AM

Default A couple more items

Flaps- the flaps on the Spitfire were pneumatic and were either full up or full down (90 degrees). There are three tabs on each side that need to be trimmed off to get the flaps to fit flush in the up position.
Landing gear- the mounting holes in the wings are quite a bit larger than the posts on the struts. Fill in the hole with a bit of sprue and drill a new hole with a 1/8th in bit. Also the inside of the gear doors and the wells were usually painted interior green but could also be silver or underside color.
Wayne
Unread November 14th, 2014, 03:14 PM

Wayne, someone else noted the problem with the IP decal not quite lining up with the plastic part details. However, it appears that the problem was restricted to just two or three individual "instruments", so perhaps a full dissection can be avoided...
Regards, Robert
Unread March 8th, 2016, 08:41 PM

Is this the original 1960s version of the 1/32 Revell Spitfire?
Unread March 9th, 2016, 07:16 AM

No, this is a new tool from Revell Germany
http://www.squadron.com/1-32-Revell-...a-p/rg3986.htm
Wayne