Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > The Hobby Room > The Workbench

Notices

Old April 11th, 2015, 02:14 PM

Default The "Bomb Farm"

OK Boys and Girls:

Finally got a start on my bomb farm. Every once in a while I get low on ordnance. I like to keep alot on hand all ready to hang and go. For me it is the most time consuming and tedious part of a build. Putting decals on these things takes hours. I have Dave Roof to thank for great markings on his USMC/USN Sheet #48005. I am waiting for the big stuff to come out. Mk 83's, Mk 84's.
[IMG][/IMG]

Got a butt load to go. Here is a teaser. I usually do two Hase kits at a whack. If you try more than that, your eyeballs hang out after a bit and your neck feels like a giant knot.

Stephen C.
"Spaz"
Intruder500
ANY WEATHER!
ANY TIME!

Old April 11th, 2015, 02:26 PM

That's awesome. Have you considered building a diorama base to house all of those? A nice base, some figures, carts, and a weapons loader will be all you need. You'll be able to rotate your stock as you build more jets to hang them from.

Very cool.

Chris
Old April 11th, 2015, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intruder500 View Post
OK Boys and Girls:

Finally got a start on my bomb farm. Every once in a while I get low on ordnance. I like to keep alot on hand all ready to hang and go. For me it is the most time consuming and tedious part of a build. Putting decals on these things takes hours. I have Dave Roof to thank for great markings on his USMC/USN Sheet #48005. I am waiting for the big stuff to come out. Mk 83's, Mk 84's.
[IMG][/IMG]

Got a butt load to go. Here is a teaser. I usually do two Hase kits at a whack. If you try more than that, your eyeballs hang out after a bit and your neck feels like a giant knot.

Stephen C.
"Spaz"
Intruder500
Great work Stephen and I like the idea of having ordnance 'on hand' to choose from. A couple of question though,

You have some dark grey body MK82HD (snake eyes) painted up. If I understand the system correctly;

1 x yellow stripe = HE
2 x yellow stripe = HE + Thermal Protection (TP)
3 x yellow stripe = HE + TP + Low Collateral (?)

Secondly, Why the darker grey MK.82 bodies?

The lighter grey tail units seems to be the colour the latest adapter kits (GCS, aerofoil groups etc) are painted now, and the light grey bodies usually have the TP ('gator skins') applied over the top but why the dark grey bomb body?

cheers,

Pappy
Old April 11th, 2015, 07:05 PM

Hi Pappy:

According to Dave Roof, who was an ordy in the USMC. The third yellow stripe is for the BLU-111 A/B with PBXN-109 filler. The new colors for the bomb bodies you will have to ask Dave about. I am just going by what is on the placement sheet.

Stephen C.
"Spaz"
Intruder500
ANY WEATHER!
ANY TIME!

Old April 11th, 2015, 07:52 PM
Intentionally Left Blank

I wish I had your ethic, Spaz...amazing!
Old April 11th, 2015, 08:10 PM
Tun Tavern 1775

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
Great work Stephen and I like the idea of having ordnance 'on hand' to choose from. A couple of question though,

You have some dark grey body MK82HD (snake eyes) painted up. If I understand the system correctly;

1 x yellow stripe = HE

The lighter grey tail units seems to be the colour the latest adapter kits (GCS, aerofoil groups etc) are painted now, and the light grey bodies usually have the TP ('gator skins') applied over the top but why the dark grey bomb body?

cheers,

Pappy

I don't think any of his bombs are dark gray, they appear to be olive drab (which would be correct).

Thermally Protected bombs can be OD or gray and the conical fins/tail sections can be either color as well.

The MK-15 Snakeye fins were olive drab and the BSU-86 (current 'snakeye') are gray. Unfortunately, there are no accurate BSU-86 in any kit, so one is welcome to fake it for modeling sake.
Old April 11th, 2015, 08:16 PM
Tun Tavern 1775

Quote:
OK Boys and Girls:

Stephen C.
"Spaz"
Intruder500
Thanks Stephen!

You know, I used to catch a lot of flack from a couple of people that headed the peanut gallery for never finishing a kit. However, I have to tell you that seeing something I created on someone else's finished modeling project is a lot more satisfying.
Old April 11th, 2015, 08:33 PM
Old Cranky Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy View Post

1 x yellow stripe = HE

cheers,

Pappy
One stripe is high explosive (H6), non-thermally protective (Mk 80 Series Bomb Bodies)

Two stripes is high explosive (H6), thermally protective (Mk 80 Series Bomb Bodies)

Three stripes is high explosive (PBXN-109), thermally protective (BLU-11x Series Bomb Bodies)

Three stripes on the nose and one on the aft end of the bomb body is the Low Collateral Damage Bomb (LCDB), it is filled with 27 lbs of PBXN-109 (BLU-126/B Bomb Body)

As for the colors, BLU-11x and BLU-126 Series Bomb Bodies will be grey (FS 36375), Mk 80 Series Bomb Bodies will either be olive drab green or grey (FS 36375 or 34088) depending one time frame (basically, green from late 90's and earlier, grey for late 90's and later).

For the fins, Mk 15 and MAU-91 Retard Fins will be green, BSU-85 and BSU-86 Retard Fins will be grey. For conical fins, for 500 lbs'er - MAU-93 and Mk 82 Mod 1 Conical Fins will be green (older con-fins), the BSU-33 Conical Fin (newer con-fin) will be grey. For 1000 lb'ers - green or grey depending on the time frame stated above, for 2000 lb'ers, I've never seen a grey fin so I would go with green.

The above is for General Purpose Bombs and bomb bodies for Guided Bombs, Guided Bomb fins are a different conversation.

Sorry Dave, I was working on this post when you were posting, didn't mean to "step-on" your posts.

People who disrespect the American flag never had to worry about coming home under one.

Last edited by GW8345; April 11th, 2015 at 08:37 PM.
Old April 11th, 2015, 08:40 PM
Old Cranky Bastard

Quote:
OK Boys and Girls:

[IMG][/IMG]

Stephen C.
"Spaz"
Intruder500
Looking good

Two corrections, the green bomb bodies should only have two yellow stripes and the Mk 84 bombs, the green for the fins looks too long, the green shouldn't extend that far.

People who disrespect the American flag never had to worry about coming home under one.
Old April 11th, 2015, 10:10 PM

Dave:

The bombs in the pic with the three stripes are FS 36118 as per the instructions. The bombs look like 500 pounders with the color key so that is what I did. Is this wrong?

Stephen C.
"Spaz"
Intruder500
ANY WEATHER!
ANY TIME!

Old April 12th, 2015, 10:01 AM
Old Cranky Bastard

Quote:
Dave:

The bombs in the pic with the three stripes are FS 36118 as per the instructions. The bombs look like 500 pounders with the color key so that is what I did. Is this wrong?

Stephen C.
"Spaz"
Intruder500
I've never seen a gunship grey bomb body, I thought they were some kind of dark green in the pic you posted.

As for the 36118 bomb body, it depends on what reference Dave used, I used one reference for the colors I stated, there maybe another pub out there that says something different, which in not uncommon for Navy pubs.

Last edited by GW8345; April 12th, 2015 at 02:25 PM.
Old April 12th, 2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW8345 View Post
I've never seen a gunship grey bomb body, I thought they were some kind of dark green in the pic you posted.

As for the 36118 bomb body, it depends on what reference Dave used, I used one reference for the colors I stated, there maybe another pub out there that says something different, which in not uncommon for Navy pubs.
Dave and GW,

Thanks very much for your very comprehensive answers, great info and to the point.

Steve, sorry, I did not have any intent to hijack the thread,

cheers,

Pappy
Old April 12th, 2015, 03:19 PM

Pappy:

No problem. This place is great for learning too! I have learned so much from the ordies on here, it's not funny. No apologies needed. I have a blast when I log in here.

Stephen C.
"Spaz"
Intruder500
ANY WEATHER!
ANY TIME!

Old April 12th, 2015, 03:35 PM
Old Cranky Bastard

Spaz,

The 36118 bomb bodies may have been locally painted after the thermal coating was repaired so I wouldn't think Dave got it wrong, that is not something an ordie would get wrong. Dave worked at a Weps Dept during his career so I'm sure he's seen bombs that color, just because I've never seen a bomb that color doesn't mean there weren't bombs that color.

Last edited by GW8345; April 13th, 2015 at 07:40 PM.
Old April 13th, 2015, 05:25 PM
Tun Tavern 1775

Quote:
Dave:

Stephen C.
"Spaz"
Intruder500

Stephen,

I'm sorry, but at no place in the instructions does it state the bombs are 36118.

The bombs shown in the instruction profiles are either gray or olive drab. The color key on the bottom is to provide the federal standard numbers and names for the colors shown in the profiles.

I'll get a replacement sheet added to your recent order.

Old April 13th, 2015, 07:41 PM
Old Cranky Bastard

OK, I'll admit it, the color bombs at the bottom had me fooled.

Old April 14th, 2015, 04:14 PM

Dave:

I feel like such an idiot! What I was looking at was the freakin color key! DUH! DUMBASS! My bad... I will fix what I have when I get the new sheet.

Stephen C.
"Spaz"
Intruder500
ANY WEATHER!
ANY TIME!

Old April 15th, 2015, 04:11 AM

"Bomb Farm" horny word!!
But beautiful bombs, can you me say if the bombs from Eduard Brassin are?
The Decal sheet from Flying Leathernecks is perfect for the bombs.
Old April 15th, 2015, 07:42 PM

Hornet 18:

The weapons used are the Hasegawa Weapons Set A.

Stephen C.
"Spaz"
Intruder500
ANY WEATHER!
ANY TIME!

Old April 16th, 2015, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Hornet 18:

The weapons used are the Hasegawa Weapons Set A.

Stephen C.
"Spaz"
Intruder500
For the bombs from Hasegawa Weapons Set A are you really good!
My bombs and missiles come also from Hasegawa Weapons Set, but I take still the bombs and missiles from Eduard Brassin and other company.

thank you!
christoph