Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > The Hobby Room > The Workbench

Notices

Old June 13th, 2010, 09:02 AM

Default Academy 1/48 F-15I

G'day people, I am new to this forum, but I already recognise some of the names in here.

I am not very good with words so I will let the plastic do the talking, pictures being worth a thousand words and all that crap. To begin with, this is what i am currently playing with. It is Academy's 1/48 F-15I kit. The kit is nice, not quite as nice ast the Revell Beagle, but pretty close and you won't need to buy any conversion or weapons sets as it has all the bits as well as Cartograph decals. In fact, this kit is like a weapons set with a Beagle thrown in!

The story so far....

Cockpit

Academy's cockpit does not include any sidewall detail or the blankets on the rear bulkhead of each cockpit nor the WSO's twin joysticks. I added the blankets using foil and scratched up a couple of sticks. The kit decals were added to the MFD's, but the rear MFD decals needed a little trimmings as the larger two were too big.

cheers,

Pappy
Old June 13th, 2010, 09:24 AM

Very Nice!
Old June 13th, 2010, 09:27 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Plastictiger
Default Nice looking cockpit

I just put Euard's color etch in an Academy and yours looks better! http://www.internetmodeler.com/artma...o-Etch-Set.php

Watch the seats, they are really short! Eduard gives you new floor to make up for the seats. I'll have a folowwup on the seats up in a couple of days. The tub is neat, but you might want to replace the seats.

Scott
Old June 13th, 2010, 05:55 PM

That is looking really sweet. That cockpit looks real. I can't wait to see more progress pics. Have you figured what weapons configuration yet. I can't wait to get mine going to. Keep up the awesome work

Cheers Brian
Old June 13th, 2010, 06:32 PM

great work on the pit. How did you do the pattern in the foil?

Calum
Old June 13th, 2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastictiger View Post
I just put Euard's color etch in an Academy and yours looks better! http://www.internetmodeler.com/artma...o-Etch-Set.php

Thanks very much. I am not a big fan of the coloured/pre-painted PE. I hate trying to match someone else's colours and I prefer to paint my own details.

Watch the seats, they are really short! Eduard gives you new floor to make up for the seats. I'll have a folowwup on the seats up in a couple of days. The tub is neat, but you might want to replace the seats.

Scott
G'day Scott,

Thanks for the heads up, but I will be using the kit seats as I will be installing aircrew. I will have to raise the seat height by adding a block of plastic underneath them,

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-104 Nut View Post
That is looking really sweet. That cockpit looks real. I can't wait to see more progress pics. Have you figured what weapons configuration yet. I can't wait to get mine going to. Keep up the awesome work

Cheers Brian
G'day Brian, No I havn't got that far ahead. This kit is really great value for money in terms of providing a nicely detailed kit and a plethora of modern weapons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4s-4eva View Post
great work on the pit. How did you do the pattern in the foil?
G'day Calum,

I used some foil from some cheap champers that already had the pattern in it

Here are the kits seats with a splash of paint

and here test fitted into the cockpit

I will raise the seat height by adding a block of scrap plastic to the underside where it will not be seen,

cheers,

Pappy

Last edited by Pappy; June 13th, 2010 at 08:55 PM.
Old June 13th, 2010, 10:28 PM

Damn those seats look really nice. The cockpit looks so busy. You are really moving along quick on this. Keep up the awesome work

Cheers Brian
Old June 14th, 2010, 12:57 AM
Not old school. Just old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
G'day Calum,

I used some foil from some cheap champers that already had the pattern in it
I'm familiar with Toohey's Old, Violet Crumble, "Chuck a sickie" and "Mappa Tassie", but what exactly is/are champers?
Old June 14th, 2010, 02:00 AM
ZOMG! I HAVE THE POWER!!

Champagne.
Old June 14th, 2010, 02:04 AM

Impressive!

People sleep peacebly in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf!!!!!!!
Old June 14th, 2010, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdog93 View Post
I'm familiar with Toohey's Old, Violet Crumble, "Chuck a sickie" and "Mappa Tassie", but what exactly is/are champers?
Strewth cobber, if you did all of those in that order that sounds like a bonzer night!

No wucken furries mate I'm only pullin' the piss, good on ya Drewe for setting our friend straight, sometimes I forget not everyone speaks 'strine,

cheers,

Pappy
Old June 14th, 2010, 02:18 AM
Not old school. Just old.

Ahhh, champers. Champagne. Bubbly. Fizzy. Bolly. Gotcha.

BTW, I'll be following this build with interest. I'm thinking about picking up one of these myself.
Old June 14th, 2010, 02:32 AM

G'day again,

A little progress update.

I have painted the lower part of the canopy. My canopy will be closed and aircrew will be installed.

The Academy intake ducts supplied are alittle weird as they have a square shaped opening at their front end.

The kit instructions are a little vague with respect to how the ducts locate inside the fuselage. They look like they butt up to the vertical plates moulded at the front of the fuselage assembly on either side of the intakes. There is a small support pad at each outer front corner to support the front of the intake ducts.

I spent quite some time (the best part of a weekend) sanding and priming the duct assembly. The ducts have a horizontal seam, and despite fitting well, the seam is quite prominent. After an initial sanding and puttying, I poured some thinned Mr Surfacer 1200 down the ducts. Once dry, I sanded some more and repeated this process several times until I thought I had a reasonably smooth intake seam. I then brush painted Tamiya gloss white acrylic. It took about three coats but I have a smooth glassy finnish now.

I also worked on cleaning up the ejector pin marks that are on the inside of the intake parts

The compressor faces were also painted whilst waiting for the ducts to dry

Once the paint had dried, the compressor faces were attached to the intake ducts and the ducts were glued to the lower fuselage half. It looks like the duct assembly just sits on top of the main wheel bays, and the back end just hangs in mid air. I added some scrap pieces of resin pour stubs to add some support to the whole assembly.

I should mention that there are some fuselage modifications required to make the airframe and F-15I. These are called out in the instructions and need to be completed prior to attaching the intakes.

These include adding this thingy (sorry technical term!) by drilling out some flashed over holes in the lower fuselage

I also cut off the pointy bits (I know stop using the technical terms!) on either side of the engine exhausts.

These bits are not found on the F-15E and variants. Academy have moulded in a dummy wall on the inside of the plastic halves to act as a guide to position the saw cuts

I left a little excess plastic to clean up the cust and help get a square surface when the halves are attached. The cuts are pretty straightforward

I finally get to glue the two rear fuselage halves together, real progress,

cheers,

Pappy
Old June 14th, 2010, 05:58 AM

That is really looking sweet. I was curious if you was going to fix the gap that the intakes have on the left and right front side. I could never figure why academy did that. You really did a great job cleaning those intakes up. I think when i go to start on mine the intakes will be the first thing i clean up . Your compressor blades look fantastic. Keep up the awesome work

Cheers Brian
Old June 18th, 2010, 02:36 AM

Default Update

G'day people,

A small update today. I have been getting the fuselage together. Despite the size of the jet (An F-15 is a big jet in 1/48) the whole airframe really only consists of about 30 odd parts. Now that the intake ducts have been finished, the rear fuselage halves were assembled. I ended up using a small amount of filler here and there but the overall fit was good.

My canopy will be glued down so I have spent some time getting the lower canopy frame to blend into the canopy sill. It may look like a lot of filler was used but really it is mostly Mr Surfacer 500 that has been feathered in to match the contour of the fuselage.

I also filled the circular vent on the right side aft of the cockpit. This doesn't belong on an F-15E and its export variants. The Revell kit also got this wrong as well.

I also re-enforced the intake duct joint at the forward edge using some strips of scrap styrene. The left duct in particular was splaying outwards a little. This was how I got the ducts to sit parallel to each other.

I also took the opportunity to dry fit the intakes.

Unfortunately, my re-enforcing efforts interfered with the fit of the forward fuselage. I simply made some judicious cuts in the dorsal piece side to clear the plastic scraps pieces and test fit the part, result!

enjoy,

Pappy
Old June 18th, 2010, 03:50 AM

Looking good Pappy.

Calum
Old June 18th, 2010, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4s-4eva View Post
Looking good Pappy.
Ta Calum!

[QUOTE=F-104 Nut;99089]That is really looking sweet. I was curious if you was going to fix the gap that the intakes have on the left and right front side. I could never figure why academy did that. You really did a great job cleaning those intakes up. I think when i go to start on mine the intakes will be the first thing i clean up . Your compressor blades look fantastic. Keep up the awesome work

G'day Brian,

Thanks for the encouragement. The cut-outs puzzled me as well. I just added some styrene fillers and sanded the lot smooth. There is no easy way to get the intakes done (unless someone wants to produce a set of replacement resin intakes!) so I resorted to good old fashioned elbow grease. The fuselage can't be completed unless the intakes are done, unless you intend to fit blanks so you may as well get the hard part out of teh way first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdog93 View Post
Ahhh, champers. Champagne. Bubbly. Fizzy. Bolly. Gotcha.

BTW, I'll be following this build with interest. I'm thinking about picking up one of these myself.

I have two Revell kits and in terms of accuracy and detail, the Revell kits are marginally better. Little things like the two joysticks in the WSO's cockpit and the rows of flush rivets along the panel lines make the Revell kit better. The Academy kits represent excellent value for money though, just for the weapons included. Many of the weapons (especially in the F-15I kit) are available as aftermarket but in this boxing they make a great package. Essentially, this kit is a weapons set with a Beagle thrown in!
Old June 18th, 2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
I also filled the circular vent on the right side aft of the cockpit. This doesn't belong on an F-15E and its export variants. The Revell kit also got this wrong as well.
3/4's right. Export versions do not have the vent, that is correct. However, F-15E's from beginning of production to 92-0366 have the vent. 96-200 is the first F-15E that does not have the vent. So, Revell got it right for most of the jets, but not all of them.

Aaron
Old June 18th, 2010, 04:02 PM

G'day Aaron,

Thanks for the info, I'll file that away for the future,

cheers,

Pappy
Old June 20th, 2010, 01:52 AM

Default Update

G'day people,

A small update for today. I have attached the F-15I specific fuselage fairings. Despite my best efforts, I still managed to get a small step at the butt joint. A small dab of filler and sanding and the fairings have now been blended in, though a small amount of panel detail will need to be re-scribed.

Whilst the putty was curing, I have busied myself with the assembly of the ordnance and stores. None of the ordnance is at the painting stage yet, but I have managed to finish a couple of the pods.

The kit supplies two Elta EL-8222 jammer pods, unfortunately, the decals are not included

I also opened up the air intake on the front of the EL-8222. I don't think F-15I's carry the 8222, probably because the F-15I'sTEWS incorporates the Israeli designed technology anyway.

The second pod I have completed is the AN/AXQ-114 datalink pod used in
conjunction with GBU-8/15 and AGM-130 HOBO stores. The kit supplies two AGM-130 (the rocket powered GBU-15 variant) which I am tempted to use.

cheers,

Pappy

Last edited by Pappy; June 20th, 2010 at 01:55 AM.