Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > The Hobby Room > The Workbench

Notices

Old February 11th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Tun Tavern 1775

Default Italeri 1/48 V-22 Osprey - Four day build

I started this yesterday at noon. Built for Capt Williams right out of the box. He just wanted something for his desk, and didn't need anything fancy. No corrections, minimal seam clean up, breakable parts left off.

Thought I took my airbrush home, but found it in my tool box when I was packing up earlier this week. However, I couldn't find my bottle of 35237, so it only got 36375 on the bottom and 36320 on top.

The rotors will be painted black and the decals will go on tomorrow, then the flat coat on Saturday.

Markings will be from VMM-261 off of my Tiltrotor Teufelshunde sheet.

Dave

Old February 11th, 2010, 08:30 PM

Nice clean coat of paint, what do you use to mask? I've got three of these on the shelf (and your excellent sheet of decals for a couple of them) plus one I've been stopping/starting on for over a year that is getting a MARPAT scheme on the topsides.
Old February 11th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Tun Tavern 1775

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonJello View Post
Nice clean coat of paint, what do you use to mask? I've got three of these on the shelf (and your excellent sheet of decals for a couple of them) plus one I've been stopping/starting on for over a year that is getting a MARPAT scheme on the topsides.
Tamiya masking tape for the clear parts. The camouflage scheme is freehand. Model Master enamel for the Gray, Tamiya for the gloss.

I have a few more at home as well. One will get a completely scratchbuilt interior and all of the exterior updates to depict a specific aircraft I photogrpahed at New River.

This one was a blast to build and I can't wait to get the decals on tomorrow afternoon.
Old February 11th, 2010, 08:53 PM

Location: About 7 klicks east of Camp Pendelton. Santa Rosa Plateau CA

Howdy Dave,

How well does the kit represent a current production model? I have been waiting for either aftermarket bits and/or a new mold model. Your Osprey is looking damn good, post some more.

Out here,

Mike Witous

Temecula Valley Model Club

HAUD SCEPTRUM HAUD SENTIO HAUD FORSIT
Old February 11th, 2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Roof View Post

I have a few more at home as well. One will get a completely scratchbuilt interior and all of the exterior updates to depict a specific aircraft I photogrpahed at New River.

This one was a blast to build and I can't wait to get the decals on tomorrow afternoon.
The kit interior does leave a lot to be desired, that's for sure. I've only been near one that was in the HMX hanger while I was playing tour guide for a group of WWII vets.

Looking forward to seeing more of this one...
Old February 11th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Tun Tavern 1775

The gloss coat was dry enough to start decaling, so I did. Got most of the left side done and will try to get the right side done before I hit the rack. The lighting in my room sucks at night, so it was difficult to get a cleaner shot.

Old February 12th, 2010, 07:44 AM
S/F not just a saying

Looking good.
The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.
Old February 12th, 2010, 07:50 AM
Internet Hero

Boy, I can almost smell the decal solvent in that last picture!

Looks great!

"Man gets shot that's got a gun, there's room for reasonable doubt. Man gets shot that hasn't got a gun, what would you call it?" John T. Chance
Old February 12th, 2010, 10:23 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to marine4 ever Send a message via Skype™ to marine4 ever

Very nice Dave. I like the spray can caps for the decals solutions......smart idea to keep them stable.

Semper fi
Dan

--Gen. Charles C. Krulak, USMC
Old February 12th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Tun Tavern 1775

All of the decals are on. Flat coat will be put on tomorrow morning, the rotors and a few other items will be attached, then this will be done.

This is the first time I have ever used one of my own decal sheets! I'll be honest, the gray squares that go around the windows were a major pain in the ass to get on........When I do my next V-22 sheet, I'll add more carrier film to the center!

Dave

Old February 12th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Not an Admin Anymore

Nice looking model Dave! I may have to build one of these some day soon.
Old February 12th, 2010, 01:01 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Harv

Dave, looks good! Nice to see you take something all the way through the build process, and not have to get sidetracked in major mods or accurization. Need to do the same, to get something finished one of these days. I'm sure the Captain will be very appreciative ~
Old February 12th, 2010, 01:19 PM

Dave

Wow, looks great!! I missed out on your stock clearance but I think I found it somewhere else.

Too bad there are no V-22s with a 3-tone camo scheme (greens and greys). Hmm, maybe I'll do a USMC what-if with a scheme like the CH-46.

Also Dave, if you are looking for subject for your resin line, maybe a cockpit set might be a good seller?

Cheers
Chris
Old February 12th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Not an Admin Anymore

Are these V-22 decals still available Dave?
Old February 12th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Tun Tavern 1775

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin K View Post
Are these V-22 decals still available Dave?
Yes, but there are only 85 sheets left on my end. For whatever reason, I have sold more of these in the past two months than all of my other sheets combined.

Dave
Old February 12th, 2010, 02:25 PM
S/F not just a saying

Quote:
For whatever reason...
You are the only cat in town with these.
The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.
Old February 12th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Tun Tavern 1775

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANK View Post
You are the only cat in town with these.

I know, but I was referring to the past two months. The sheet has been available for quite a while now, but the last two months has seen more orders for this sheet than all of the others over the same time period. In fact, seven of my last ten orders were for this sheet alone.
Old February 12th, 2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
I know, but I was referring to the past two months. The sheet has been available for quite a while now, but the last two months has seen more orders for this sheet than all of the others over the same time period. In fact, seven of my last ten orders were for this sheet alone.
1) Supply - you're the only company with V-22 decals, so you have 100% market share

2) Visiblity - the public is becoming more aware of V-22 since it's increased presentation in the news (in a positive light) and the aircraft appearing at more airshows. This will only increase with V-22 squadrons standing up on the West Coast.

3) Promotion - once more modelers see this build-up with decals used, it'll drive a few more sales. It's the "Ooh that's neat, where did you get that?" effect. When you post good pics of a finished well-built model in markings that no one else has done, it drives sales of that product. Post crappy pics of a half-assed model in every-day markings, you'd get the opposite effect.

4) Availability - you've made it available to purchase the moment "the impulse to buy" hits the buyer, as opposed to "coming soon" or "pre-order now".

5) Word-of-mouth - this ties into #2 and #3, and is supported by #1 and #4, but good reputation of a quality product drives repeat business and generates first-time buyers. There are no guarantees in this factor, you can do #1-4 right, but this factor can't be quantified. (Just look at the car industry for cases of this ie GM and Toyota in the 1980s - 2 companies that in opposite directions based on reputation of reliability.)
Old February 12th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Money Shot

Sh!t-hot work! Especially considering the short build time, looking GOOD! Those decals are your creations?
Old February 12th, 2010, 06:27 PM
S/F not just a saying

Quote:
Originally Posted by John B View Post
1) Supply - you're the only company with V-22 decals, so you have 100% market share

2) Visiblity - the public is becoming more aware of V-22 since it's increased presentation in the news (in a positive light) and the aircraft appearing at more airshows. This will only increase with V-22 squadrons standing up on the West Coast.

3) Promotion - once more modelers see this build-up with decals used, it'll drive a few more sales. It's the "Ooh that's neat, where did you get that?" effect. When you post good pics of a finished well-built model in markings that no one else has done, it drives sales of that product. Post crappy pics of a half-assed model in every-day markings, you'd get the opposite effect.

4) Availability - you've made it available to purchase the moment "the impulse to buy" hits the buyer, as opposed to "coming soon" or "pre-order now".

5) Word-of-mouth - this ties into #2 and #3, and is supported by #1 and #4, but good reputation of a quality product drives repeat business and generates first-time buyers. There are no guarantees in this factor, you can do #1-4 right, but this factor can't be quantified. (Just look at the car industry for cases of this ie GM and Toyota in the 1980s - 2 companies that in opposite directions based on reputation of reliability.)
All that and have them on sale most of the last two months = product movement.