Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > The Hobby Room > The Flightline

Notices

Unread November 30th, 2009, 06:47 AM
Trust me, I'm an engineer

What an amazing model... I would love to see how you did it, so if you have any in progress photos to share, I'd be keen to see them, even though the model is finished. The wheelwells in particular.

Jens
Unread November 30th, 2009, 09:04 AM

great build Kai, very great detail and nice weathering
fantastic
JP
Unread November 30th, 2009, 09:33 AM

I AM spechless !! This simply is a work of art. Truly amazing how much attention you've paid to even the smallest details. Hut ab

Lothar
Unread November 30th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Oh my God, I'm a Pilot!

Holy Crap Kai-That is outstanding! THe scribing is perfect-Even the rivet placement is dead-nuts on..the spacing is even and perfect! You are going to have to share your techniques with us after showing us such a gorgeous model!

Incredible-

Pig
Unread November 30th, 2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fightertown Decals Brian View Post
Kai - that is one absolutely stellar build!!!! It's great to see it completed, although I have to admit, I was hoping to see the 101 red tail and some of our decals at work.

If you want some critiquing of the accuracy details, read on. Otherwise ignore the rest of my post.

You have built a stunning beautiful Tomcat! And that cockpit detail is mindblowing!

-During workups and throughout cruise, 100 had black outlines around the data boxes.
-CMC name on left RIO side should be CMC, not CMG (Command Master Chief)
-00 on front gear doors was just in black. No yellow shadowing
-DANGER between JET and INTAKE was in red.
- VF-31 on the strake had yellow shadowing
- Red turbine stripe should cut through the middle of the formation light and NAVY should be moved forward with it.
- BUNO/F-14/Beware of Blast was in a different font. They didn't do the Long Beach Navy BUNO until it was repainted after cruise.
-100 flap numbers were in 36018 Euro Gray until repainted after return from cruise
-Bomb fuse on Felix were in red. 101 had them in white.

Congrats on an amazing build,
Brian
Hi Brian,

MANY THANKS! Yes......the AJ-101 would be a great Cat too. It was fifty-fifty to do AJ-101 or AJ-100.
Both Cats are awesome but in the end, i decided to do the last Tomcat CAG bird.

And yes, you are right with every point you postet!!

I know that there are a few little errors on my Cat. .....

I had to deal with the stuff i was able to get for AJ-100. Right now, only Phoenix Decals 32011 and Cross Delta 007 covers VF-31 AJ-100.

Both decals sets have the post-cruise markings for AJ-100, but only the Phoenix Decals sheet covers also the “early” style cruise markings i wanted to do.

But both decal sheets have little faults.

When i started with AJ-100, i used some of my own AJ-100 images as an reference. Some images from the Last Tomcat Cruise and some images with post-cruise markings, like the image below.

I realized, that they changed the style of the black area around the Cockpit, the crews names, the modex 100 on the nose (from black/yellow to black/white) and the markings on the tail.

BUT i didn`t realized, that they changed also the data stencils! So i followed the Phoenix Decals instruction sheet.

The instruction sheet shows the same data stencils for both AJ-100 versions (last cruise / post cruise)

That included the data boxes without the black outlines, the white DANGER markings between JET and INTAKE, the black “100” flap number and the Long Beach Navy BUNO font style.

After the decals was set on my Cat and sealed with another gloss coat, i realized that the Phoenix instruction sheet was wrong......but now it was too late for any changes.

Phoenix Decals shows the black “00” for the nose landing gear doors, but on my sheet these decals were damaged due to a wrong printing. The “00” from the Cross Delta sheet shows the late post cruise style with the black and white “00”. But that wouldn`t match with my black/yellow Modex “100” at the nose.

I can`t find any good black “00” from a spare decal sheet and so i decided to use the black/yellow “0” from several AJ-101 sheets to cover the “00” on both sides.
Because these “00” looks like a small version of the “100” on the nose. Not perfect, but good enough for me

I just fixed the CMC / CMG error! Now we have a Command Master Chief on the Canopy! And btw....it sounds much better than Command Master Ghief

The reason for the white bomb fuses is, the Felix on my tail is from the AJ-101 sheet! I painted the yellow circle on my tail to get the same colour at the VF-31 Felix patch and on the top of the tail. After that, i applied AJ-101`s Felix on my yellow circle.

The plan was to repaint the white bomb fuses with red paint and a small brush. But i forgot that step! I think i am getting old.....

Now, it isn`t possible to repair that fault due to the technique i used for that tails.

You know that the AJ-100 tail has a gloss / semi-gloss shine. On such a surface you will see any unevenness and you will clearly see the attached decals due to the thickness of the decal. And i hate that!

So i sealed the tail and decals with a gloss coat. After the gloss coat was dry, i really carefully sanded down the decals with 6000 and 10000 grit. After that, i polished the whole tail. And after that.....another gloss coat was applied....and sanded again....and polished again......and sanded again......

After several passes, the light shines on that tail without any interruptions, caused from the thickness of the applied decals and the tail looks really awesome.

After all these steps are done, i applied a last semi-gloss coat to adjust the shine.

But the problem is, i can`t paint the small red fuses on that tail without loosing that effect! Another coat have to be applied, sanded and polished again.
But that`s nearly impossible with the attached tail.

So i have to live with the white fuses......

I know that your decals are more than awesome and maybe best Navy stuff on the market, so next time you have to release the bird, before i start with the model

So......i hope VF-213 will win the POLL

Here is an image of AJ-100 with the post cruise markings, wich included the data boxes without the black outlines and the white DANGER markings between JET and INTAKE.

Greetings Kai

http://www.CombatEdgeProductions.com
Unread November 30th, 2009, 04:32 PM

@ f12aaa, Gambler, Fightertown Decals Brian, Afterburner Decals Geoff, Jake Melampy, Chuck540z3, A4s-4eva, JP31, polybebber and Pete "The Pig" Fleischmann

MANY, MANY THANKS for your kind words! I am really happy that you like my Cat so much....

A few more images.....

Greetings Kai

Last edited by Combat Edge; December 1st, 2009 at 08:28 AM.
Unread November 30th, 2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens H. Brandal View Post
What an amazing model... I would love to see how you did it, so if you have any in progress photos to share, I'd be keen to see them, even though the model is finished. The wheelwells in particular.
Jens
Hi Jens, i don`t received any negative informations from the Mod, so i think a few "In Progress" images will be ok.

@ALL: my english grammar isn`t perfect.....but i hope you will understand me. If not, please let me know .

Also, if you have questions, please ask!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete "Pig" Fleischmann View Post
Holy Crap Kai-That is outstanding! THe scribing is perfect-Even the rivet placement is dead-nuts on..the spacing is even and perfect! You are going to have to share your techniques with us after showing us such a gorgeous model!

Incredible-

Pig
Dear Pig....MANY THANKS again.
I sanded down all the raised panel lines and marked the new panel and rivet lines with a really small pen. After that i rescribed the complete Fuselage along that lines acc. several detail images and drawings from the real Tomcat. I used a rivet template and punch every single rivet with a small tip.

After rescribing and riveting the whole model, i checked the new panel lines with black paint from a waterproof pen. After that, i sanded the whole area again with 1000 grit. Now you can check your new panel lines and fix some “accidents”.

Here you can see the rescribed upper fuselage during the “pen-check”

@: Jens....some images from the wheel well for you

I put "some" wires and hydraulic lines into the main gear wheel well. But i don`t spent too much work into that area, because that Cat will be displayed on a carrier deck diorama. So you will never see that area again.......

Greetings Kai

Last edited by Combat Edge; November 30th, 2009 at 05:18 PM.
Unread November 30th, 2009, 05:30 PM

A major problem of the Tamiya kit are the air intakes, because.....there isn`t a real intake. So i decided to build my own seamless air intakes.

First i started with some styrene to give the new intakes the right shape

I scratchbuild the air intake ramp interior and the ramp actuator

After that i scratchbuild the whole air intake from styrene. Here you can see the finished air intake, ready for painting and weathering.

Here you can see the new intakes which have now been sanded smooth inside, painted and weathered

Unread November 30th, 2009, 05:35 PM

Last two images for today........

Greetings Kai

I scratchbuild the two ECS heat exchanger exhausts on the upper fuselage

The new ECS heat exchanger exhausts, installed on the upper fuselage near the spine

Unread November 30th, 2009, 06:16 PM

Wowzers!

People sleep peacebly in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf!!!!!!!
Unread November 30th, 2009, 11:10 PM

This is just AMAZING.
Unread December 1st, 2009, 01:29 AM

Wow, kai your build is amazing. I am so glad that I was able to see this and thank you so much for adding the in-progress shots. They will serve us well.

Mike
Unread December 1st, 2009, 01:56 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to A4s-4eva

Lucky you didn't do "to much" on those wheel well I'd hate to see the results if you decied to really go all out

Calum
Unread December 1st, 2009, 06:18 AM
Trust me, I'm an engineer

Thanks Kai - the intakes was going to be my next question. I think you have captured the essence and character of the wheelwells very well and the end result is very convincing even if it doesn't include every hydraulic pipe.

Feel free to show us more.

Jens
Unread December 1st, 2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4s-4eva View Post
Lucky you didn't do "to much" on those wheel well I'd hate to see the results if you decied to really go all out
So you have to wait until my next F/A-18 Hornet project
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens H. Brandal View Post
Thanks Kai - the intakes was going to be my next question. I think you have captured the essence and character of the wheelwells very well and the end result is very convincing even if it doesn't include every hydraulic pipe.

Feel free to show us more.

Jens
Ok....so here we go.

Some extra detailing at the nose gear strut.....

....and at the landing gear doors with styrene and photoetched parts from Eduard

I added copper wire to the main landing gear strut to simulate the hydraulic lines

Unread December 1st, 2009, 08:39 AM

The new scratchbuild boarding ladder, made of styrene and some photoetched parts from Eduard

btw: Wolfpack released a great boarding ladder!! But too late for my Cat...

The scratchbuild windscreen interior, but without the wires and clamps attached

Interior done. After i painted and weathered the windscreen interior, i glued the windscreen to the forward fuselage.

Unread December 1st, 2009, 08:54 AM

btw: WOLFPACK DESIGN.......

That company produces some really, really great 1/32 scale Tomcat stuff!!

As you can see on my first post, i used some of these items for my Cat.

BUT.....

NEVER EVER USE THE WOLFPACK F-14B / D AIRFRAME CONVERSION!!!!!!!!

Believe me........that will ruin your model!!!

The Tomcatfreaks knows, that the F-14B and F-14D was equipped with the General Electric F110 engine.

So i had to convert the aft fuselage section of my Tomcat. When i started in 2005, the Teknics airframe conversion was the only conversion set on the market.

But i wasn`t really happy with that. Because the Teknics airframe conversion does not have the silver ring between the engine nozzle and the aft fuselage

A few years later, Wolfpack Design produced another airframe conversion set for the Tamiya Tomcat. After a first overlook.....that set looks much better and i removed the Teknics set and installed the Wolfpack airframe conversion set.

After installation i realized that there is something wrong with that conversion.

The engines and engine fairings doesn`t look like an real F-14B/D Tomcat!! The conversion set looks like a foreign object on the Tamiya Tomcat!

I checked my images and drawings and realized, that the nozzle is too small, way too short and the shape of the F110 nozzle is totally wrong!

But that wasn`t the biggest problem! It turns out the Wolfpack nozzles are not only short, they're way too narrow as well!!

There’s no way I’m using these nozzle or the airframe conversion on my Tomcat!! But now i was in trouble!!

Because the Wolfpack airframe parts i attached to my fuselage was designed for their own nozzles and has the same wrong diameter than the nozzle.
So their dimensions looks bad and it wasn`t possible to use another F110 nozzle like the Tamiya F110 nozzle from the F-16CJ kit on that conversion set.

So i think about the options and after a few days i decided for the best, but most expensive alternative...

The F110 nozzle from the F-16CJ kit is one of the best F110 nozzles on the market and nearly perfect in dimensions and shape. So i ordered two complete F110 Engines and airframe fairings from the Tamiya F-16CJ kit.

Next step was to remove the Wolfpack airframe conversion set from the fuselage. Another Tamiya F-14A Tomcat kit was used to fill the huge gap between my Tomcat aft fuselage section and the new F-16CJ Engine fairing.

The F-14B/D left and right outboard fairings between the engine and the horizontal stabilizer was used from the secured Wolfpack Design conversion kit.

After lots and lots of sanding and dry-fitting, the new Tamiya-F-14 / Tamiya F-16 Nozzle mix looks awesome with nearly perfect dimensions.

Now the Cat looked like a real Tomcat D-Model and not like a Revell Mig-29......

Last edited by Combat Edge; December 1st, 2009 at 10:07 AM.
Unread December 1st, 2009, 09:40 AM

Here you can see the F110 exhaust tube from the Tamiya F-16CJ kit during construction

The painted and weathered turbine section

Unread December 1st, 2009, 09:55 AM

More "In Progress" images will follow soon......

now i have to work a little bit more on my new Tomcat Diorama.

Btw: World Premiere! Here you can see the first images of the new (unpainted) Tie-Down set from Pitzmodels

I was lucky enough to receive the first prototyp of the new set, because i had to build that set for their homepage.

BELIEVE ME! THAT SET IS MORE THAN AWESOME

It will be available soon via Pitzmodels

Greetings Kai

Last edited by Combat Edge; December 1st, 2009 at 09:58 AM.
Unread December 1st, 2009, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combat Edge View Post
More "In Progress" images will follow soon......

now i have to work a little bit more on my new Tomcat Diorama.

Btw: World Premiere! Here you can see the first images of the new (unpainted) Tie-Down set from Pitzmodels

I was lucky enough to receive the first prototyp of the new set, because i had to build that set for their homepage.

BELIEVE ME! THAT SET IS MORE THAN AWESOME

It will be available soon via Pitzmodels

Greetings Kai

The hell, Kai,
I am always admiring your work and your patience. One should have an IPMS World competition. I guess this partictular built would have chance to win.
Looking forward the entire dio.
BTW : you got to do a travel box as well and I hope you`ll bring it along to our next BBQ.
Greetings to your beloved ones.......and to your family